ABOUT THE LEARN EARN LEGEND! ALL STARS REGIONAL TOUR
- The Learn Earn Legend! All Stars Regional Tour is a FREE public event visiting five regional NSW communities from January 22-30.
- The Tour builds on Rugby League’s commitment to recognising and celebrating the game’s strong links and extensive community engagement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
- It follows the successful inaugural Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars game, played at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast in February 2010 and is being held in the lead up to the 2011 game.
- The Tour is taking place with the support of the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) Learn Earn Legend! program which encourages Indigenous children to stay in school and aspire to good jobs.
- A highlight of the Tour will be the production of Indigenous artwork canvases by each community, to be displayed centre-stage at the All Stars game, at Skilled Park on February 12.
- The Tour will provide an opportunity for local Indigenous communities to showcase their own programs in the areas of health, welfare, education and heritage. WHERE IS THE TOUR GOING?
The Learn Earn Legend! All Stars Regional Tour will visit the following communities, with events taking place from 4:00pm-7:00pm AEDT at each location. January 22 Batemans Bay, Mackay Park (launch event)
January 24 Condobolin, Wiradjuri Learning Centre
January 26 Wilcannia, Bourke Oval (Australia Day event)
January 28 Walgett, Walgett #1 Oval
January 30 Moree, Boughton Oval
The Tour was also scheduled to visit the Queensland towns of St George and Roma. However, due to the current flood crisis, these visits have been postponed and will be rescheduled to take place after the All Stars game. CAN ANYONE TAKE PART IN TOUR EVENTS?
The Learn Earn Legend! All Stars Regional Tour is a FREE public event and anyone can visit the Tour in any of the five locations.
The NRL encourages all members of the local community, Indigenous organisations, families and youth to attend.
WHO IS ON THE TOUR?
The Learn Earn Legend! All Stars Regional Tour will see Rugby League’s One Community ambassadors visit the communities involved. The names of these and other special guests will be confirmed and publicised a few days out from each Tour location.
Former Rugby League player Ricky Walford will MC the Tour events and will be joined by ARL Development and Country Rugby League staff and local Indigenous community leaders. WHAT CAN I DO WHEN THE TOUR VISITS MY TOWN?
In addition to producing the local Indigenous artwork canvases to be displayed at the All Stars game, the public can enjoy a range of FREE activities including:
- Backyard League and Kids to Kangaroos games, with ARL Development and Country Rugby League
-Learn about Rugby League’s One Community ‘Dream, Believe, Achieve’ program, which encourage students to build healthy lifestyles and positive ways to find and achieve their dreams
- Take your photo with the NRL Telstra Premiership trophy
- Purchase the latest Rugby League merchandise
- Enjoy a community BBQ
- Learn about local Indigenous community initiatives. HOW DO WE FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE TOUR AND ALL STARS GAME?
To find out more about the Learn Earn Legend! All Stars Regional Tour visit the All Stars
Less than 1,000 tickets remain for the Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars game (at Skilled Park on February 12, 2011). Tickets can be purchased through Ticketek outlets, by phoning 132 849 or visiting www.ticketek.com.au
Fans watching the match on television can visit the free Bumehla Festival live-site at Broadwater Parklands on the Gold Coast on February 12 or tune into Channel Nine, WIN and NBN (broadcast details tbc).