Availability of live match videos is based on broadcaster times. This means that all Fox Sports matches are live and availability of Channel Nine matches is based on broadcaster times.
Channel 9 games will be broadcast at the same time as the free to air signal in your territory and therefore may be delayed. Location services must also be turned on to determine the live match videos available to you at the time of broadcast.
Live match videos in the NRL Official App are delivered in an adaptive bit-rate format, where the best quality stream is made available to your device based on the bandwidth availability at your current location.
If you experience deteriorating stream quality, an audio only feed or intermittent buffering/loading while watching a live match on your compatible mobile, please move to a location with better mobile network coverage or connect your device to a WiFi network (if available within the venue), or try again after a short duration in between the drop-outs.
Sometimes there is a short delay as the vision is converted into digital form for delivery onto supported devices. This can take up to 60 seconds and can also depend on your location and network connectivity.
To continue accessing live and premium videos on the NRL Official App, please subscribe In-App or via NRL Live Pass on https://nrl.com/livepass.
If you are subscribing via NRL Live Pass or an In-App Purchase on an Apple iOS device, you will have a choice of a Weekly or Annual pass. The Weekly pass will be priced at $2.99 and the Annual pass at $89.99.
If you are subscribing via an In-App Purchase on an Android device (Google Play), you will have a choice of a Monthly or Annual pass. The Monthly pass will be priced at $12.99 and the Annual pass at $89.99.
We love to reward loyal customers and as a sign of our appreciation, your Weekly pass that is currently priced at $1.99 will remain at that price until you cancel or change your subscription.
3. I’m a current Weekly Pass subscriber. What do I need to do if I want to remain on the $1.99 price point?
There is no need to do anything if you wish to remain on the $1.99 price point. Just make sure that your credit card or payment method details are up to date. You can check your payment method by logging into https://livepass.nrl.com > Account Settings > Manage Subscription.
4. What happens if I’m an existing Weekly Pass subscriber but I cancelled during the off-season or mid-way through 2017?
If you are not an active subscriber when the new 2017 pricing is released, or cancelled your subscription mid-way through 2017, you can only subscribe to the new $2.99 price point. Unfortunately we are unable to place you back onto the old pricing.
5. What happens if I’m an existing Monthly Pass In-App subscriber on an Android device?
Your Monthly pass that is currently priced at $8.65 will remain until you cancel or change your subscription.
6. What happens if I’m an existing Annual Pass subscriber ?
Your annual pricing of $89.99 per year will remain unchanged, and will continue to enjoy the same level of access at the best value subscription option.
NRL Live Pass 2017 & In-App Subscription Free Trial Update
1. What is the free trial associated to an NRL Live Pass subscription?
If you are a new subscriber that has never had an NRL Live Pass subscription, you will be eligible for a 7-day (1 week) free trial when you subscribe for the first time on either a Weekly or Annual pass. You can cancel at anytime within the first 7 days if you find that the product is not right for you. If you don’t cancel within the free trial period you will be charged for the pass that you have subscribed to.
2. I am a subscriber but have cancelled my subscription. Will I still be eligible for the 1 week free trial in 2017?
Unfortunately the 1-week free trial is only available to new subscribers that have never subscribed to the NRL Live Pass.
3. Is the 1-week free trial available to In-App Purchase customers?
Yes. The 1-week free trial is available to any new subscribers that are subscribing via the In-App Purchase option, including the Monthly pass that is only available to Android users.
4. What happens if I cancel my free trial before the end of the first 7 days?
You will continue to have access just like a subscribed user, until the end of the 7-day period. After that, the account will be no longer have an active subscription and access to premium content will cease.
5. What happens if I have signed up before the new subscription options are available, and was given a 2-week free trial instead of 1?
Your 2-week free trial will remain valid until the end of the 2-week period. If you choose to cancel your subscription before or after the end of the 2-week period, you will not be eligible for the 1-week free trial.
NRL Official App – In-app Subscription/Purchase
1. What is the difference between NRL Live Pass and an In-App Purchase?
NRL Live Pass is acquired directly through https://livepass.nrl.com, and it creates an account that you can use to access premium content across all platforms on the Official NRL App or NRL.com.
If you are an existing Telstra customer you may also choose to use your Telstra ID to sign-up to NRL Live Pass, and have the subscription billed to your Telstra account instead of a credit card.
In-App Purchase is acquired directly via the Apple App Store or Google Play on the Official NRL App, and is billed to your payment method linked to the Apple ID or Google Wallet account. Whilst an In-App Purchase will not enable cross-platform access of premium content, you can restore the purchase on multiple devices sharing the same account, on the same operating system ie: You only need to purchase once if you have the same Apple ID linked on an iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone.
2. Why is the Weekly In-App Purchase option missing on the Android version of the Official NRL App?
As the In-App Purchase options are supplied by the respective stores, there wasn’t a weekly option available to us when the products were created. However, the monthly price point of $12.99 has been calculated based on a pro rata basis so you’re paying the same amount as a weekly subscriber.
3. How do I unsubscribe from an In-App Purchase/Subscription?
If you subscribed In-App you will need to cancel your subscription directly through the relevant App store accounts. iOS Users with an In-App subscription go to: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4098 Android Users with an In-App subscription go to: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2583485
4. If I unsubscribe from the App Store or Google Play, what happens then?
You can continue accessing all the Official NRL 2017 App content available via your subscription until the end of your subscription period.At the end of the relevant subscription period you can still keep accessing the free content Telstra provides via the Official NRL 2017 App, but you won't be able to view any live NRL matches, live press conferences full match replays or any other premium content, unless you resubscribe.
5. Are In-App subscriptions available on the official NRL app for Windows Phone?
You will need an NRL Live Pass account and valid subscription to access Live or Premium content when using the NRL 2017 app on a Windows Phone 8 device. In-app subscriptions via the Windows Phone Store are not currently available. To subscribe to an NRL Live Pass, go to http://nrl.com/livepass or access the NRL Live Pass subscription page from your Windows Phone device via the Official NRL 2017 App.
6. Can I get a rebate if I don't like my In-App subscription?
Unfortunately a rebate or refund is not available from Telstra if you decide that the In-App subscription is not the right product for you. However, you can cancel your subscription at any time during your subscription period and the recurring billing will stop at the end of your subscription period.
iOS customers please note: You can request refunds, which are provided at the discretion of Apple. To request a refund, please follow the instructions on the following link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1933
7. How do I get billed?
All In-App subscriptions are billed directly via App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android) not by Telstra. Please refer to the billing method attached to your existing app store accounts used to purchase the In-App subscription.
8. I have just recently subscribed to NRL Live Pass on my iPhone, do I need to subscribe again on the iPad?
All new and existing subscribers can restore an existing active subscription on up to 10 compatible Apple / Android devices by using the restore feature on the NRL Live Pass section and logging in with the same Apple or Google ID used to make the initial subscription.Please note that In-App subscriptions can only be restored on multiple devices belonging to the same platform; iOS on App Store and Android on Google Play.
9. I've recently subscribed to watch live match videos but the app doesn't seem to recognise that I'm a subscriber. What do I do?
- Check that you have a valid subscription In-App Store > Apple ID/Account > Subscriptions > Manage
- Check that you have downloaded NRL 2017 from the App Store using the same Apple ID that has a subscription
- Launch NRL 2017 > NRL Live Pass > Restore and enter the same Apple ID that has a subscription and this should restore your subscription on the device
- Check that your device is linked with the Google Account that has a subscription under Settings > Accounts
- Check that you have a valid subscription by checking the NRL 2017 App in Google Play Store Launch NRL 2017 > NRL Live Pass > Restore and this should restore your subscription on the device
10. Can I subscribe if I'm not a Telstra customer?
Yes, NRL Live Pass and all the In-App purchase options are available to all Australian residents and are not exclusive offers to Telstra customers.
11. I got a "Regrant Failed" message when attempting to restore their subscriptions
There are two possibilities:1. The App was downloaded with a different Apple ID. You will need to log out and log back in through the Settings option on the Device. 2. It appears the download is faulty. Please delete and reinstall the App. You will need to use the Restore button, at the bottom of the subscription page, to re-link your subscription to the device.
NRL Live Pass and In-App Subscription Content / Feature Related Questions
1. Why is the live match video on the iPad, Tablet or laptop devices not available in full screen?
Telstra's agreement with the NRL restricts the display of live match videos to the current screen size. Match highlights and match replays are available for viewing in full screen size.
Live streams are restricted to max screen size of 7” diagonally. This is as per Telstra digital rights agreement with NRL. Match highlights and match replays are available for viewing in full screen size.
2. Can I output the live stream from the NRL App or NRL.com Match Centre to my TV or Monitor via Airplay, Airplay Mirroring or direct cable connection (e.g.: HDMI, VGA etc.)?
No. Under our digital rights agreement with the NRL, broadcasts are restricted to the screen devices upon which they are sold (i.e.: iOS or Android smartphone or tablet, or laptop, or Windows Phone) and current screen size.
3. Can I get access to live match videos while I'm overseas?
No. The NRL 2017 app is only available to download via the Australian app stores and live match videos are not available when you are streaming outside of Australia.
4. I'm an NRL fan living abroad. How do I get access to live match videos?
For more information on international broadcast details outside of Australia please visit the following link: http://www.nrl.com/AbouttheGame/BroadcastInformation/InternationalBroadcaster/tabid/10443/Default.aspx
5. Do I pay for the data?
Standard data charges apply when downloading or using the app/NRL.com Match Centre. Video data usage is currently unmetered only for certain Telstra customers in respect of supported devices.
Video data usage is only unmetered for the following Telstra services: BigPond ADSL/Cable/Wireless/NBN Telstra mobile handsets / tablets with any Telstra SIM (excluding International Roaming)
Telstra services excluded from unmetering: Telstra Mobile Broadband (Dongles and mobile WIFIhotspots), Telstra Business Broadband, BigPond Internet (Dial Up/ Satellite/ Hourly Plans, Telstra Air.
6. When I'm at the game, why is there a delay between the live game play and the NRL 'live' coverage on my supported device?
Sometimes there is a short delay as the vision is converted into digital form for delivery onto supported devices . This can take up to 60 seconds and can also depend on your location and network connectivity.
7: What are the supported devices for NRL Live Pass and the NRL Official App?
The current version of NRL Official App is only supported on the following devices: Apple: iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, iPad mini with iOS 9 and above
Android: Official NRL 2017 App is built and tested for the following devices with Android 4.4 and above:
Samsung Galaxy S5+
Samsung Note 3+
HTC One M7+
Samsung Galaxy S 3 4G
Samsung Galaxy S 4
HTC One XL
Sony Xperia Z
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 4G
Motorola RAZR M
Samsung Galaxy S II
HTC Wildfire S
LG Optimus L3
Tablets (Android 4.2 and above):
Google Nexus 7+
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Acer Iconia Pro
Google Nexus 7
Windows Phone 8 devices running Windows Phone 8 and above:
The NRL.com Match Centre was built and tested for Windows laptops with IE9 or later, Chrome 31 or later, Firefox 28 or later, as well as MAC laptops with Safari 6 or later, or Chrome 31 or later. We recommend fans with earlier browser versions update their browser to get an optimal experience
The video player on the NRL.com Match Centre supports the following browsers/versions: Chrome 18 or later, Firefox 12 or later, Safari 6 or later, Internet Explorer 9 or later with the Chrome Frame.
8. I'm on a laptop, but when I try to watch live video, I get an 'Invalid Content' error message?
By default, some browsers, such as Apple Safari, disallow third-party cookies, which can interfere with video playback.
9. Can I watch live video via the NRL.com Match Centre on my PC?
No, live streaming on the NRL.com Match Centre is restricted to supported laptop devices. Live video playout to any external device (eg: a PC monitor or TV via direct cable connection, Airplay or Airplay mirroring ) is not allowed.
10. When trying to watch a live match on my mobile/tablet device, I get an error message.
Please ensure that you are in an area with good mobile network or WiFi coverage before closing the live match video and restarting the stream.
11. Why does my video appear to be: Stalling; Blurry; Buffering; on audio only with no vision?
Live match videos in NRL 2017 is delivered in an adaptive bit-rate format, where the best quality stream is made available to your device based on the bandwidth availability at your current location.
If you experience deteriorating stream quality, an audio only feed or intermittent buffering/loading while watching a live match on your mobile, please move to a location with better mobile network coverage or connect your device to a WiFi network with broadband connectivity that is uncongested.
12. Can we watch every game live using the NRL 2017 app or NRL.com Match Centre?
Availability of live match videos in NRL 2017 is based on broadcaster times. This means that all Fox Sports matches are live and availability of Channel Nine matches is based on broadcaster times. Channel 9 games will be broadcast at the same time as the free to air signal in your territory and therefore may be delayed.
Location services must also be turned on to determine the live match videos available to you at the time of broadcast.
13. I live in Queensland. How do I hide the scores for matches that are being delayed in broadcast?
In order for live scores to be hidden in the NRL App when a game's broadcast is being delayed into your location, please ensure that location services is turned on from the device and NRL 2017 is allowed to access your location details.
On iOS, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services On Android, go to Settings > Location Services/Location & SecurityNote that the Location Services settings may reside in a different area depending on your device's OS version.
14. When can I watch the Match Replay video for a game that I have missed?
All match replays will be made available from the Videos section within 12 hours of the match being completed.
15. How soon are Match Highlight videos available in the app?
All match highlight videos are usually available within 1 hour of a match being completed.
16. What are In-Match Scoring Highlights (or Instant Replay)?
In-Match Scoring Highlights are 15-second video clips that capture the best scoring plays during a match and are made available during a live game. Up to 5 scoring highlights may be available at any given time during a live match and 10 are available post-match.
17. Why am I always required to update my app to the latest version before I get to use it?
Mandatory updates are required in order to ensure that you can benefit from all the new features and bug-fixes that enhance the overall user-experience.
18. How do I manage push notifications?
You will need to open the NRL App, select Settings from the menu, and go to Notifications and switch on or off.
19. Is the Official NRL 2017 App available on Windows Tablet/Surface/RT devices?
The current version of the Official NRL 2017 App is not currently supported on Windows Tablet /Surface/RT devices.