You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
The Rhinos ran in seven tries in a comfortable win over Wakefield at Headingley Carnegie in the Festive Charity Trophy.<br> <br> Leeds Rhinos finally got to take on Wakefield a week after Boxing Day but with a bumper crowd inside Headingley Carnegie for the rugby double header.<br> <br> Weller Hauraki was prevented from playing as paper work has been delayed over the Christmas period likewise with Kylie Leuluai however otherwise the Rhinos had a strong looking line up for this annual festive challenge against the Wildcats.<br> <br> The Rhinos made the best possible start when they opened the scoring inside the first five minutes when Luke Burgess latched onto an offload by Paul McShane before powering his way over. Kevin Sinfield added the conversion to make it 6-0.<br> <br> Leeds were then reduced to 12 men when Ian Kirke was sin binned for a late challenge following a kick. Kirke seem perplexed by the decision especially given the nature of the game and that the challenge did not appear that serious.<br> <br> The Wildcats took advantage of their numerical advantage when Matt Blaymire threw a wide pass to put Michael Korkidas in space and he barged his way over. Ben Jeffries levelled the score with the conversion.<br> <br> The Rhinos responded to that set back in great fashion and took control of the game in the second quarter.<br> <br> Two tries from Lee Smith put the Rhinos in front. The first came from some quick handling along the backline that opened up a gap for the winger, who crashed through the last tackle. His next effort five minutes later was produced by skipper Kevin Sinfield threw a looping wide pass to Smith to give him a simple try. Sinfield missed the conversion but the Rhinos led 16-6 at that stage.<br> <br> The Rhinos lost Jamie Jones-Buchanan after that score when he picked up a leg injury as he produced a barn storming run in midfield. Leeds were not put off their stride and Rob Burrow crossed for his side's fourth try with 15 minutes to go until half time. Brent Webb created the space for Burrow who threw an outrageous dummy before going over himself. Sinfield converted to make it 22-6.<br> <br> However, the try of the match was scored straight from the re-start. Smith and Delaney attacked down the Main Stand before the ball was spread the entire width of the pitch with Ben Jones-Bishop finishing off brilliantly in the corner. Sinfield converted to make it 28-6 at the break.<br> <br> The Rhinos took up where they had left off at the start of the second half. A clever kick towards the post, bounced kindly for Webb, who was alert to stick out a hand and touch down the loose ball and he sprinted through chasing the ball. Sinfield converted to make it 34-6 after 42 minutes.<br> <br> The homeside brought up the 40 point mark midway through the half when Paul McShane took on the defence before offloading to Sinfield, who cut back inside before going over from 15 metres out. He converted his own try to make it 40-6.<br> <br> All credit to Wakefield, who rallied in the final ten minutes to give their fans something to look forward to in 2011. The first came from winger Gareth Potts who scored outwide before Dale Ferguson powered his way over from close range. The final score of the game came in the last minute when Keiran Hyde latched onto a loose ball and went 60 metres to score. Josh Veivers converted the last two tries to make the final score 40-22<br> <br> <strong>Leeds Rhinos 40 defeated</strong><br> Tries: Luke Burgess, Lee Smith (2), Rob Burrow, Ben Jones-Bishop, Brent Webb, Kevin Sinfield<br> Goals: Kevin Sinfield (6)<br> <strong>Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 22</strong><br> Tries: Michael Korkidas, Gareth Potts, Dale Ferguson, Kieran Hyde<br> Goals: Ben Jeffries, Josh Veivers (2)<br>