NRL All Stars voting now open
Rugby League fans will have to choose between players like Nathan Hindmarsh and Jarryd Hayne from the Eels, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk from the Storm, Josh Dugan and David Shillington from the Raiders and Corey Parker and Ben Hannant from the Broncos after Stage Two of NRL All Stars voting opened at www.nrl.com/allstars.
Even the most experienced public selectors face a tough task with fans having to choose just one player from each of the 16 NRL Clubs in their selections, which must come from the 64 shortlisted players from Stage One voting and take into account NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett’s positioning guidelines.
Internationals Darren Lockyer and Benji Marshall are already automatically selected in the NRL All Stars team, with the public choosing 16 of the team members and coach Bennett selecting an additional two players to complete the 20-man squad.
Stage Two voting will remain open until January 27, 2011 and Bennett has placed the 64-shortlisted players into his positions and has issued the following selection guide to the fans.
Backs have been divided into three separate groups:
- Fullback – Specialist role
- Outside back – Includes centres and wings
- Inside back – A player who can play five-eighth or halfback
Forwards have also been divided into three categories:
- Tight forwards – A player who plays front-row and also second-row
- Edge forwards – A second-rower or lock that can play on both the right and left side edge of a team’s attack and defence
- Hooker – Specialist role
The coach wants at least three tight forwards in the starting line-up.
Bennett is also asking the fans to consider:
- Players marked as utility players have been designated on the basis of their ability to cover multiple positions
- The seven-man bench will require: two Tight Forwards, one Edge Forward, one Inside Back, one Outside Back, two Utilities.
Two players on the seven-man bench will be selected by NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett at the completion of Stage Two voting.
Corey Parker - Edge Forward
Ben Hannant - Tight Forward
Alex Glenn - Outside Back
Ben Hunt - Utility, Hooker, Inside Back
Greg Eastwood - Tight Forward
Frank Pritchard - Edge Forward, Tight Forward
Bryson Goodwin - Outside Back
Ben Roberts - Inside Back
David Shillington - Tight Forward
Bronson Harrison - Edge Forward
Josh Dugan - Fullback
Jarrod Croker - Outside Back
Paul Gallen - Tight forward
Jeremy Smith - Edge forward, Tight forward
Nathan Gardner - Fullback
Colin Best - Outside Back
Gold Coast Titans
Ashley Harrison - Edge Forward
Mark Minichiello - Tight Forward
Kevin Gordon - Outside Back
William Zillman - Fullback
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Anthony Watmough - Edge Forward
Brent Kite - Tight Forward
Jamie Lyon - Outside Back, Inside Back
Tony Williams - Outside Back
Cameron Smith - Hooker
Adam Blair - Edge Forward, Tight Forward
Cooper Cronk - Inside Back
Chase Stanley - Outside Back
Neville Costigan - Edge Forward, Tight Forward
Zeb Taia - Tight Forward
Akuila Uate - Outside Back
Kurt Gidley - Utility
North Queensland Cowboys
Dallas Johnson - Edge Forward
Matthew Scott - Tight Forward
Antonio Winterstein - Outside Back
Ashley Graham - Outside Back
Nathan Hindmarsh - Edge Forward, Tight Forward
Tim Mannah - Tight Forward
Jarryd Hayne - Fullback
Luke Burt - Outside Back
Luke Lewis - Edge Forward, Utility
Petero Civoniceva - Tight Forward
Michael Jennings - Outside Back
Michael Gordon - Outside Back
St George Illawarra Dragons
Ben Creagh - Edge Forward
Dean Young - Utility, Hooker
Darius Boyd - Fullback
Brett Morris - Outside Back
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Dave Taylor - Edge Forward, Tight Forward
Roy Asotasi - Tight Forward
Fetuli Talanoa - Outside Back
Junior Vaivai - Outside Back
Nate Myles - Tight Forward
Braith Anasta - Inside Back, Utility
Todd Carney - Inside Back, Utility
Shaun Kenny-Dowall - Outside Back
New Zealand Warriors
Feleti Mateo - Edge Forward
Simon Mannering - Edge Forward
Lance Hohaia - Fullback, Utility
Manu Vatuvei - Outside Back
Gareth Ellis - Edge Forward
Robbie Farah - Hooker
Lote Tuqiri - Outside Back
Chris Lawrence - Outside Back
Overview of NRL All Stars voting:
- The first player to be chosen in the NRL All Stars team will be the player who scores the highest number of overall votes in a position.
- Once a player from one club is placed in the team, no other player from that club can be chosen.
- If a player withdraws from the team due to injury, he will be replaced by someone from the bench.
- The open bench spot will then be replaced by someone from the injured player’s club, with the new player having recorded the second highest number of votes from that club, either as a forward, back or utility, depending on the position needed for the bench.
- The Australian and New Zealand captains are automatically included in the team.
- At the end of Stage Two voting, the coach selects from shortlisted players still available, the two remaining players to complete the 20-man squad.
Less than 2,000 tickets are available for the Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars to be played at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast on February 12, 2011.
Tickets are available through Ticketek outlets, on 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au
New Zealand customers can call 0800 842 538 or +61 132 849.