Two Sydney clubs win Monster Raffle
Two Sydney junior rugby league clubs have sold the major prizes in the 2011 Toyota Monster Raffle while raising much-needed funds in a One Community/ARL Development initiative that has now delivered almost $2 million for grassroots clubs in five years.
Manly Warringah’s Belrose Eagles and Balmain’s Enfield Federals were among 120 clubs from across Australia (with the exception of Tasmania) to sell tickets in the 2011 Toyota Monster Raffle, an initiative that enables junior clubs nationwide to raise money without having to undertake labour-intensive fund-raising methods which often have minimal return.
Belrose Eagles Junior Rugby League vice-president Matt Brown said he was thrilled the first winning ticket drawn had come from among the 600 sold by his club, raising them $3000 … and hopes it is an omen for the Sea Eagles to win the NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.
“It’s fantastic to be the club that sold the winning ticket and it will certainly help with sales in the future,” Brown said today. “It’s unreal, absolutely unreal ... we would have to do at least 30 meat raffles to raise that sort of money.
“Everything you do to raise money for a club means you have to outlay money first - even if it is a simple meat raffle – so you have to go in debt first and hope you are going to get your money back.
“With the Monster Raffle, all the money goes back to the Club and you don’t have to outlay anything. It is a great initiative by the ARL Development, NRL and Toyota.”
While the two female winners of the major prizes of a Toyota Corolla and a NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final experience would prefer to keep their good fortune away from the public spotlight, the benefits of the Toyota Monster Raffle to grassroots Rugby League are far-reaching.
NRL Director of Community, Culture and Diversity, Trish Crews, said: “The Monster Raffle continues to grow and we are really proud it helps make a meaningful impact at the local level.
“The fantastic thing about the Monster Raffle is that clubs can keep all ticket proceeds and allocate the money to the areas that will make a difference to their club.”
Toyota Regional Manager, Eastern Region, Mr Tony Pepper, said the Monster Raffle, is an important grassroots Rugby league initiative which Toyota has supported for the past two years as Official Partner.
“With a prize pool of over $71,000, this year has once again seen the Toyota Monster Raffle go from strength to strength, and it’s great to see the fantastic support go directly back to local clubs – to help out where it’s needed most,” Mr Pepper said.
“At Toyota we’re committed to doing our bit for the community and this initiative is a fantastic way to show our very real support for grassroots Rugby League communities out there.
“Congratulations to the two major prize winners who each take home a Corolla Ascent, and also a big thank you to everyone for taking part and doing their bit for grassroots Rugby League.”
The 13 winners to share in the prize pool of over $70,000 include:
- Name withheld – Toyota Corolla Ascent and flights, accommodation and Category 1 tickets to the NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final.
- Sophie Douglas - Toyota Corolla Ascent and flights, accommodation and Category 1 tickets to the NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final.
- Berkley Sports RLFC – 2012 Ultimate Rugby League Experience (Two season tickets to the NRL Club of choice, two Category 1 Grand Final Tickets, two Category 1 State or Origin tickets (in Sydney or Brisbane), two NRL jerseys of a selected NRL team, two tickets to the 2012 NRL Grand Final Breakfast).
- Jai Eden – A two night accommodation package at the Byron at Byron (including two nights in a superior suite, daily buffet breakfast, 1-hour massage in the Spa and Wellness Centre and gourmet lunch voucher).
- Rosanna Battung – Two x 2012 Premium Level Memberships to a nominated NRL Club and $500 worth of NRL merchandise.
- Barry Allen - $1000 worth of NRL merchandise.
- Barry Richards - $500 IHG Hotels voucher.
- Johnny Velukite - $500 Red Balloon gift voucher.
- Adrian Hogan – Four tickets to the 2011 NRL Player’s Charity Christmas Party.
- John Bell – A two-day Dreamworld and Whitewater World Family and Friends Pass.
- Jacob Matthews - $200 Rose Only gift voucher.
- Dylan Emmerick – 2011 signed Kangaroo jersey.
- John Ragen - $80 News Magazines subscription.