You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Referees co-coach Stuart Raper looks at all the big decisions from the 2011 NRL Grand Final.

There were a few talking points around the Grand Final but generally we were very happy with the way they all went. A section of the media continually bagged referees saying that they would influence the result but we believe that the best team won in all the playoff and grand final games. Sure, like players there were errors from the referees, but games did not hinge on individual aspects.

The four main talking points from the 2011 Telstra Premiership Grand Final were:

The penalty against George Rose for contact to the head of Aaron Haeremai.
We were happy with the outcome of a penalty and the player being placed on report. The process that both the referee and the video referee underwent was correct. 

Watch the penalty decision against George Rose
The angled play-the-ball of Anthony Watmough.
Manly should have been penalised for this play-the-ball in the 37th minute, it should have been picked up by the referee. But it is important to note that Manly did not score from that set of six.

Was there obstruction just before halftime ahead of the try to Daly Cherry-Evans?
In the lead up to the last try in the first half by Cherry-Evans there was a collision by a Warriors player into Cherry-Evans. This was not an obstruction as Cherry-Evans was classed as a support player to Michael Robertson and is allowed to be there, which is different to having a player in front of you. 

Watch the Manly try on the stroke of halftime
Should Kieran Foran’s try have been awarded?
After looking at it a number of times, with all the angles, we believe the video referee got this correct. There could have been a case for Benefit of the Doubt but on the last angle there was separation which has to be classed as a knock on. The Warriors had already infringed by knocking the ball on, so a goal-line drop out was the right decision. Manly scored from the next set of six in any case.

Watch the no-try decision against Kieran Foran