You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Cronulla Sharks v Manly Sea Eagles
Famous Matches

The first meeting – Manly 39, Cronulla 5, Brookvale Oval, May 14, 1967

The Sharks’ first trip to Brookvale proved a less than auspicious occasion when they were trounced 39-5 by a star-studded Manly side, which included 19-year-old five-eighth Bob Fulton. The stand-out performer for Manly was South Coast winger Les Hanigan, who picked up five tries, a club record which still stands. The result was an unhappy portent for the Sharks, who have battled for success at Brookvale ever since.

Sharks’ first win – Cronulla 7, Manly 0, Sydney Sports Ground, May 15, 1971

After seven rounds of the 1971 season, Manly led the competition. The Sharks, after a blazing start to the year, were mid-field when they met the Sea Eagles in a match of the day at the Sydney Sports Ground. The first clash between Englishmen Malcolm Reilly (Manly) and Tommy Bishop (Cronulla) on Australian soil was hotly anticipated but by fulltime, it was Bishop and his Sharks who finished well on top. On a rain-soaked ground, Cronulla scored the only try to beat an out of sorts Manly 7-0.

The ’73 grand final – Manly 10, Cronulla 7, Sydney Cricket Ground, September 15, 1973

The 1973 premiership decider won its place in grand final infamy after 80 minutes of almost unrelenting mayhem. Players swear there was no pre-arranged plan, but the match was laced with incidents of ugly foul play and all-in brawls. Referee Keith Page was forced to issue a general caution, threatening that the next player who offended would be sent off. Interspersed with the brutality were a moments of sheer magic from Bob Fulton. His two tries were brilliant individual efforts which swung the game

The ’78 grand final and replay – 11-all draw, SCG, September 16, 1978; Manly 16, Cronulla 0, SCG, September 19, 1978

Cronulla were first into the 1978 grand final and fans prepared to cheer the club’s maiden title when their team led 9-4 early in the second half. But Manly fought back to lead 11-9. Steve Rogers landed a superb penalty goal from the sideline to draw level and after Rogers and Manly’s Steve Martin both missed field goal attempts, the grand final finished in a draw for the second year running. With the Kangaroos preparing to depart for England, the replay was hastily set down for a Tuesday afternoon, three days after the grand final. Although Manly had been forced to play five games in 17 days, it was Cronulla who were decimated by injury and suspension, and fell 16-0.

Manly’s comeback – Manly 24, Cronulla 20, Sydney Football Stadium, September 3, 1995

Manly were minor premiers and met fourth-placed Cronulla in a quarter final at the Sydney Football Stadium. The Sharks were the underdogs but led 20-8 soon after halftime following bright displays by hooker Aaron Raper and halves Paul Green and Mitch Healey. But a Raper error opened the door for Manly, who stormed back into the game. Tries to Steve Menzies, Solomon Haumono and Craig Hancock pitched the Sea Eagles to the front and they held on to win by four.
Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Media Partners

Major Partners

View All Partners