The Board of Wests Ashfield Leagues Club would like to make the following points in relation to matters raised in the media in the past few days.
Wests Ashfield Leagues is a shareholder in the joint venture known as Wests Tigers. Wests Ashfield Leagues has continued to work with Wests Tigers to achieve the best possible outcomes for the joint venture, whilst continuing to support and respect the heritage, history, and contribution of the Western Suburbs District Rugby League Club - The Magpies.
Wests Ashfield Leagues has agreed, in principle, to support the conduct of a single NSW Cup team, representative of both JV clubs, in season 2013. Furthermore, Wests Tigers and Wests Ashfield Leagues have agreed that ....
- Western Suburbs Magpies is recognised as the district club in the Campbelltown area,
- Western Suburbs Magpies will continue to participate (as the Magpies) in junior representative Harold Matthews and S G Ball and, where appropriate, other competitions,
- Western Suburbs Magpies retains all of its rights, including the ability to review the operation of a single State Cup team in future years,
- Wests Tigers continues to work with Western Suburbs Magpies to ensure that appropriate pathways are met for the junior Rugby League players in the south west,
- The 2013 combined State Cup playing strip would alternate between Wests and Balmain colours.
Wests Ashfield Leagues recognises the significant financial contribution required to meet obligations to all Rugby League stakeholders and the need to prioritise the appropriation of available funding to meet these needs.
Wests Ashfield Leagues Club Deputy Chairman Russell Smith said it was important to keep focus on the real issues at play in this situation.
"Wests Ashfield Leagues remains totally committed to the continuing sustainable role of Wests Magpies as a vital component in the structure of Rugby League to continue to provide a well defined and positive pathway for aspiring players in the Campbelltown and surrounding regions,'' Mr Smith said.
"We have confidence in the management of the Wests Tigers joint venture as portrayed in the results that have been achieved in the recent past."
Changes to the Wests Magpies Board will take affect next week, and the new Board will work closely with all stakeholders to ensure all normal operations and functions of a district club continue in what will be a fruitful 2012 season and a bright future.