The eighth Immortal - NRL Daily
There is no greater list of players in rugby league than those tagged as ‘Immortals’. Churchill, Fulton, Gasnier, Raper, Langlands, Lewis, and most recently Beetson, are the standard by which all other past and present players are measured.
The selection of the eighth player to join this list is no easy task, but NRL Daily gives you the insiders look at the players who are in serious reckoning for the honour.
NRL Daily host John Gibbs joins stats guru David Middleton and Rugby League Week editor Mitchell Dale, who are both on the Immortals voting panel, in studio to discuss today’s vote for the eighth rugby league Immortal.
Here is the list of favorites, ordered by era:
• Norm Provan (1951-1965) – played in 10 consecutive grand final-winning teams (Dragons 1956-65) and captain-coached four of them (1962-65).
• Ron Coote (1964-1978) – played in nine Grand Finals in 11 seasons, captained Australia to victory in the 1970 World Cup, inducted into the Australian Hall of Fame and was named in the Australian Team of the Century.
• Peter Sterling (1978 – 1992) – pivotal member of the Eels grand final teams 81, 82 ,83, 84 and 86. Won two Dally M Medals, and a Clive Churchill Medal.
• Mal Meninga (1979-94) – Only player to have played in four Kangaroo tours, played the most games representing QLD (42), captained the Raiders to three premierships.
• Brad Fittler (1989 – 2004) – Three Kangaroos tours, 40 Tests for Australia, most capped NSW player of all time, won two premierships and featured in six grand finals.
• Andrew Johns (1993 – 2007) – Newcastle legend, Won three Dally M Medals, two Provan Summons Medals, two Golden Boots, won two premierships with the Knights.
Watch NRL Daily tonight to get David Middleton and Mitchell final thoughts and hear why they’re in no hurry to find out the winner.
Get all this and more in tonight's episode of NRL Daily, the only NRL show that's on every night of the week.
Stream it on the NRL.com homepage from 7:00pm tonight, watch it on the official NRL mobile site (Telstra customers only. Action Pack required. Click here for more details) or Telstra T-BOX. You can also watch the best NRL Daily videos on your iPhone with the official NRL iPhone App (Official Pass required. Click here for more details)