Biggest crowd in Origin history
The biggest Game III crowd in Origin history – 83,813 – has watched Queensland defeat NSW 12-10 to win the 2013 Holden State of Origin Series at Sydney’s ANZ Stadium tonight.
In a record-breaking night for the game:
· The 2013 Holden State of Origin Series has recorded the biggest attendance in the event’s history with 215,883 fans attending the three games, surpassing the previous mark of 203,309 set in 2004;
· Tonight’s crowd is the biggest attendance for a sporting event at ANZ Stadium in its current configuration, surpassing the 83,702 set in the rugby Test between Australia and the British and Irish Lions on July 6;
· Tonight’s crowd of 83,813 is the biggest ever for a Game III Origin match, surpassing the previous record of 82,487 set in 2004;
· Sydney recorded its biggest ever combined attendance for an Origin series, with 164,193 fans attending the two matches in Sydney, smashing the previous record of 150,831 in 2004;
· The Origin series and Sydney attendance records follow the biggest ever Game I crowd of 80,380 set in the opening match of the series (previous record 72,773 set in 2006) and a sell-out crowd of 51,690 for Game II at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium.
Australian Rugby League Commission CEO, Mr Dave Smith, tonight paid tribute to the players and fans for making the 2013 series the most successful in history.
“What an amazing night. Origin just gets bigger and better each year and that success is a tribute to the incredible skills and courage of the players and the unrivalled support of our fans.
“Thank you also to the NSWRL and QRL as well as the management and staff at Suncorp Stadium and ANZ Stadium for their tremendous efforts in showcasing the greatest rivalry in sport.”