You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Queensland halfback Cooper Cronk reels after copping a suspected broken arm early in Origin I.
Queensland will have to mount a second-half comeback minus chief playmaker Cooper Cronk after the Maroons halfback was forced from the field just 10 minutes into a pulsating opening 40 minutes of the 2014 Holden State of Origin Series opener at Suncorp Stadium.

Tries to Brett Morris and Jarryd Hayne have given the Blues a 10-4 lead at half-time after the Maroons were thrown into disarray following the departure of Cronk, who is believed to have suffered a broken left arm.

NSW suffered their own scare when Brett Morris appeared to have injured his right shoulder in scoring his side's opening try and in the 28th minute NSW five-eighth Josh Reynolds was placed on report for a possible lifting tackle on Queensland winger Brent Tate.

Queensland dominated the opening exchanges and took until just the fourth minute before back-rower Chris McQueen cut a swathe through the Blues defence before offloading to Greg Inglis who took play down towards the Blues' 20-metre line.

Nate Myles was the unexpected kicker at the end of the set and although his kick skewed off the side of his boot Blues winger Daniel Tupou was bundled into touch when he recovered possession.

From the ensuing scrum the Maroons stacked the left side and came up trumps immediately, Darius Boyd putting 11 weeks of turmoil behind him to score his 13th Origin try – second on the all-time tally – and give his side a 4-0 advantage after just five minutes.

Billy Slater sent shockwaves through the Blues nerves when he broke free from a kick return in the ninth minute but soon after the Maroons meticulous preparation was given its greatest test when Cronk left the field and was replaced by Daly Cherry-Evans.

With Reynolds and Hayne causing the Maroons' left-side defence plenty of problems and on the back of a weight of possession they levelled the score in the 19th minute when Hayne created space for Josh Morris who positioned brother Brett perfectly on his inside to score in the corner.

Further expansive attack instigated by Hayne and Reynolds saw Beau Scott take play deep into Maroons territory in the 28th minute, the Queensland defence holding on for a fraction too long and Trent Hodkinson converting the penalty from 28 metres out right in front.

Enjoying all of the running, the Blues extended their lead to six points in the 33rd minute when Hayne was tackled short of the line but rolled into the in-goal by the Maroons covering defence and planting it across for the Blues' second try of the night.

Queensland finally had a chance down in enemy territory three minutes from the break but a shift to the right saw Matt Gillett spill a flat Cherry-Evans pass 10 metres out from the line.

Half-time: NSW 10 (Brett Morris, Jarryd Hayne tries; Trent Hodkinson goal) lead Queensland 4 (Darius Boyd try).

Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Media Partners

Major Partners

View All Partners