Cowboys extend Wright contract
Matthew Wright will be a member of the North Queensland Cowboys until at least the end of the 2016 NRL season after agreeing to a two-year contract extension on Thursday.
The 23-year-old has played nine consecutive NRL matches for North Queensland after making his club debut, which included a first-half try, against Newcastle in Round 5 at 1300SMILES Stadium.
His resume now includes a career tally of 71 matches, plus a Test appearance for Samoa in 2013.
"We've been really happy with how Matthew has fitted in with us since coming here at the start of the year," Cowboys general manager of football Peter Parr said.
"He missed the majority of our pre-season but still managed to earn his way into the run-on 13 not long into the competition.
"He's capable of playing a number of different positions and has added significantly to our squad.
"We expect he is going to continue to develop as a player and continue to be an asset for our backline."
Wright came to the Cowboys in February when he was looking for an opportunity to continue his NRL career after his contract with Cronulla ended at the end of 2013.
He was signed to a one-year deal and played his first game for the club, a trial match against the Brisbane Broncos at Redcliffe, just five days later.
"I’m really grateful for the opportunity the Cowboys gave me earlier this year and the faith they've shown in me by extending my contract for another two years," Wright said.
"I could never have imagined I’d be in this position six month ago."
Wright was a Junior Kangaroos representative in 2010 and played alongside current Cowboys Tariq Sims and Cameron King in the squad managed by Peter Parr.