Cowboys allow Glasby to stay at Storm

Melbourne Storm forward Tim Glasby has been released from a two-year deal with the North Queensland Cowboys on compassionate grounds, and will remain with the Storm instead.

The Cowboys, who lose both Ashton and Tariq Sims from their 2014 squad, have been on the hunt for suitable replacements and the 25-year-old Glasby was recruited on a two-year deal.

However in an update to the club website on Wednesday, the Cowboys said Glasby had "been allowed out of his contract on compassionate grounds".

This was confirmed by the Storm.

"The Cowboys have been very understanding of Tim's situation and both head coach Paul Green and football manager Peter Parr have been very professional in the way they have handled the matter," Storm Football Director Frank Ponissi said in a club statement.

"With Tim's family decision to remain in Victoria, it's a bonus to have Tim remain with the club, particularly considering his development over the last 12 months."

In the statement, Glasby also thanked the Cowboys for their understanding.

"I'm very grateful to the Cowboys for understanding my change in circumstance and for working with me to find a solution," Glasby said.

"I'm also very appreciative to Melbourne Storm for their support; I'm looking forward to season 2015 with Storm."

At the same time, the Cowboys announced 29-year-old forward Joel Riethmuller had been released from the final year of his contract after playing 31 NRL matches for North Queensland.

He will be officially farewelled at Friday night's presentation ball along with Anthony Mitchell and Ricky Thorby, who are off contract and leaving the Cowboys, the club stated.

Since first coming to terms with Glasby, the Cowboys have since signed former Kangaroo Ben Hannant from Brisbane. They will also welcome Eels junior Kelepi Tanginoa in 2015.