Titans terminate Carter's contract
The Gold Coast Titans today officially terminated Paul Carter’s contract with the club. Paul was yesterday provided with the opportunity to make submissions to the Gold Coast Titans Board which met to determine the matter. He was accompanied by his manager, a legal representative, and representatives of the Rugby League Players Association.
After considering all relevant information, the Board reaffirmed its proposed sanction to terminate Paul’s contract with immediate effect.
In arriving at this decision the Board wishes to make a number of points very clear;
• The Board takes very seriously its responsibility to look after player welfare and notes the significant level of support the club has provided Paul during 2014;
• The Board has no desire to make Paul’s personal predicament worse than it already is but his personal welfare has to be balanced against the overall best interests of the club and the game;
• The Board agrees with and supports RLPA submissions that Paul needs independent assistance to get his life in order;
• The Board acknowledges and appreciates an RLPA offer to initiate and oversee Paul’s rehabilitation program;
• The Board has specifically indicated and conveyed to Paul that if after undertaking an appropriate rehabilitation program he can demonstrate he has addressed his personal issues, the club is prepared to consider providing him with another opportunity to resurrect his football career at the Titans.
The Board imposes this sanction with a heavy heart but sincerely hopes Paul will ultimately benefit from this stance.
The Club has offered Paul on-going counselling and support through the NRL’s welfare program for as long as necessary while he addresses this difficult period in his life.
It is the great desire of our Club that Paul quickly resolves his personal issues and successfully bounces back to reach his undeniable potential as both a player and a person.
The Club will make no further comment in relation to this matter.