You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Daniel Vidot in action for Ipswich against Townsville Blackhawks on Sunday.

After a slight delay, the Ipswich Jets have taken off in season 2015 with a 36-24 victory over the Townsville Blackhawks in Round 2 of the Intrust Super Cup.

In other results, Souths Logan Magpies thrashed Central Queensland Capras 48-12 and the Mackay Cutters led from start to finish in their 34-18 win over Tweed Heads Seagulls.

Northern Pride's clash against the Sunshine Coast Falcons was postponed until May 3 due to inclement weather in North Queensland.

Sunday's matches saw Wynnum Manly and Easts Tigers renew their recent rivalry, with the Seagulls claiming the spoils 18-14, and Norths Devils made it two from two to start their season with a 20-12 victory over the Burleigh Bears.

PNG Hunters remain on top of the ladder after outlasting the Redcliffe Dolphins 30-26 with Adex Wera nabbing a hat-trick and Stargroth Amean crossing twice.

At North Ipswich Reserve both the Jets and the Blackhawks were wearing camouflage jerseys to celebrate NAB Defence Force Appreciation Day, although there was no disguising the presence of Wayne Bennett who was watching his Broncos troops from the stand.

In a classic tale of two halves, the Jets flew out of the blocks in the opening half to lead 26-0 at the break before the Blackhawks mounted a second-half comeback to only trail by six with 19 minutes to go. 

The Jets took the score out to 30-20 when Fijian winger Nemani Valekapa crossed in the 67th minute before the Blackhawks responded with a try to Rhys Matsen seven minutes from fulltime.

Rod Griffin sealed the topsy-turvy encounter when he broke through Townsville's line to allow man-of-the-match Matt Parcell to score his second try of the afternoon.

The first half belonged to the Jets and they made their intentions known straight from the kick-off by successfully regathering the ball and going straight on the attack.

Fullback Wes Conlon opened the Jets' account in the eighth minute by landing a simple penalty goal with referee Michael Wise blowing the whistle six times in the opening quarter.

It was no surprise that Ipswich scored their opening try off the back of a penalty and it was veteran centre Chris Walker who sliced through the Blackhawks defence in the 21st minute to make it 8-0.

The Jets then roared into action with three scintillating tries within a six-minute period.

Hooker Matt Parcell took advantage of some slack marker defence to scoot over from dummy-half with Conlon adding the extras for a 14-0 lead.

Two minutes later Kurt Capewell strolled over out wide after the ball had shifted left-to-right across field to find the promising back-rower with enough room to plant the pill behind the line.

The next try came straight from the restart after the unpredictable Jets again threw the ball across field, this time right-to-left and on their own 10-metre line to put Valekapa into the clear.

The Fijian flyer raced 40 metres down the touchline and found Brisbane Bronco Daniel Vidot, who drew in fullback Jahrome Hughes who in turn gave the Steeden back to Valekapa to take the score out to 24-0.

Ipswich added another penalty goal in the 37th minute to head into the sheds 26-0 at half-time. 

Ipswich Jets 36 (Nemani Valekapa 2, Matt Parcell 2, Chris Walker, Kurt Capewell tries; Wes Conlon 6 goals) def. Townsville Blackhawks 24 (Zac Santo, Wayne Ulugia, Mosese Pangai, Rhys Matsen, Tom Humble tries; Tom Humble 2 goals) at North Ipswich Reserve. Half-time: Jets 26-0. Man of the Match: Matt Parcell. 

For full details of all Round 2 matches, head to

Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Media Partners

Major Partners

View All Partners