Falloon backs ban on lifting tackles
He has twice fallen victim to the clamp-down in the past 12 months but Titans hooker Beau Falloon says he fully supports the NRL's hard-line stance on lifting tackles ahead of his return for the Titans on Saturday.
Having missed the first two games of 2015 due to a club-imposed suspension, Falloon has been forced to sit out the past two weeks after pleading guilty to a Grade 1 Dangerous Throw charge from Gold Coast's 24-22 win over Cronulla in Round 4.
Placed on report for an awkward lifting tackle the week after the tragic accident to Knights forward Alex McKinnon but not subsequently charged by the match review committee, Falloon was found guilty of a Grade 1 Dangerous Throw in Round 26, successfully having it downgraded from a Grade 2 charge at the judiciary.
Carry-over points from that charge resulted in the two-game ban recently and he has since been under instruction from Titans coach Neil Henry to address his tackling technique so no future indiscretions are committed.
"'King' (Henry) has had a word to me and there are a few things there I need to change otherwise I'll keep ending up in the same situation I am now," Falloon told NRL.com.
"There's not much reward now for going low and driving because even though there's no intent in it a lot of things can go wrong in those sorts of tackles.
"I'm all for changing my technique and hopefully I don't ever get charged again for one of those lifting tackles.
"As soon as you're in that lifting position there's a good chance you're going to be charged. I've been practising it the last few weeks to get that out of my game so hopefully that happens.
"The crusher and that are all bad [tackles] but getting picked up in that awkward position is probably the worst.
"We all saw that horrible incident that happened last year; we don't want to see that in our game so I'll change my technique for the better of the game."
Dwarfed by the vast majority of men who is forced to confront in the middle of the field, Falloon said he has been working hard to raise his target area on the opposition attackers to somewhere around the ball.
"It's just going out on the training field and putting in the repetitions in the way you need to tackle," said the 27-year-old.
"I've been doing that the last two weeks with the coaches and players so hopefully I can put that into practice and make some really strong tackles up over the ball.
"Still make some really good tackles but no lifting ones."
Watching four of the first six matches of the season rather than taking the field with his teammates has been difficult for the self-proclaimed "footy-head", none more so than the 40-0 hiding handed out by the Panthers in Round 2 in Bathurst.
A City Origin representative in 2014, Falloon has been named to start against Penrith on Saturday and is determined to use the return bout as a way to kick-start his season.
"It was a bit of a strange game I thought," he said. "We had our opportunities but dropped the ball in important parts of the game and a few disallowed tries really seemed to frustrate the boys. Hopefully we rectify that this week and get the two points.
"I like to watch my mates out on the field and it's been tough missing a lot of games for the start of the year but just glad to be back this week and hopefully I can stay suspension-free and really kick-start my season this week."