Daly Cherry-Evans during the Sea Eagles' Round 7 loss to the Bulldogs.

Cherry-Evans slams media treatment

Gold Coast-bound Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans has lashed out at the treatment he and his family have received at the hands of media over the past week concerning reports he is considering backing out of his agreement to join the Titans next season.

After months of speculation over his playing future, the off-contract rep star agreed to join the Gold Coast on a four-year deal from 2016.

Last week, reports emerged suggesting he was considering staying on the northern beaches – which he is entitled to do any time up until Round 13.

The 26-year-old was further criticised for not putting those reports to bed after the Sea Eagles' loss to the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium on Friday night.

On Monday morning Cherry-Evans gave a short statement to media slamming his treatment over the past week, in particularly speculation that his family was a reason for the mooted backflip.

"I just would like to start off by saying, to put everything to bed, there's been no changes to my current contract situation. I went through that process seven weeks ago now and there is absolutely nothing to report and from what I can see there will be nothing to report.

"I understand speculation will continue until Round 13 but from my end there's nothing to report and I don't think there will be anything to report for the rest of the season in regards to changes to my contract.

"That being said, the way I was treated over the weekend by some media outlets was extremely disappointing. I understand as a professional athlete media have a right to me, but I don't believe they have a right to my family's privacy and the way they were treated over the weekend is extremely disappointing.

"With that being said, I hope this puts it to bed and everyone can move on. Thank you."

Asked if he'd be taking questions, Cherry-Evans replied "not today, thanks guys."