You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
The Sydney Roosters have made a winning start to the Holden Cup season.

The Roosters have continued their impressive start to the Holden Cup season with an entertaining 42-23 win over the winless Sea Eagles. 

The Roosters were without two of their best, with regular five-eighth Connor Watson and big man Shaq Mitchell both rested by coach Anthony Barnes, but it mattered little as they overturned a narrow half-time deficit to run out easy winners. 

It didn't take the Roosters long to open their account, with Johnny Tuivasa-Sheck leaping high to pull down Paul Momirowski's cross-field kick.

The visitors responded almost immediately thanks to Jesse Ramien, who took advantage of some nice block plays to cross out wide for his first try of the evening.

The tit-for-tat scoring sequence continued six minutes later, with the Roosters fill-in five-eighth putting Joseph Manu through for an easy try in the right corner. It was a miraculous recovery from the Roosters centre who had appeared injured only moments earlier. 

Down by six, the Sea Eagles turned to their halves for inspiration, and midway through the first-half they delivered.

Nicholas Hynes got the ball rolling in the 21st minute, putting back-rower Billy Bainbridge over with a lovely short ball on the edge. 

Not wanting to be outdone, Hutana Coffin added his name to the try-assist list, double-pumping before finding Lucas Price for an almost identical try on the right. 

An error from the kick-off gave the momentum straight back to the Roosters, and they capitalised through interchange forward Luke Chalker who crashed over close to the line from a Grant Garvey pass.

The see-sawing affair took one more twist before the break, with Hynes popping up on the right to grubber through for Ramien to score his second. Coffin's fourth straight miss kept the score at 16-16 despite Manly scoring four tries to three. 

That wouldn't be the how the teams went to the sheds, after Hynes capped off a brilliant first 40 minutes with a close-range field goal to give his side a one point lead at the break. 

The Roosters didn't take long to wrest back control of the contest, with Kiah Cooper's speculative offload sending winger Bernard Lewis over for his first try of the match.

Not long later, the Roosters winger was in again, this time latching onto a long cut-out pass from his halfback to push the margin back out to seven. 

It looked like Manly's fresh legs would mount another comeback as Manly hit back through interchange forward Joshua Martin in the 62nd minute, but that would be the closets they got.

Two quick tries to Garrett Boland and co-captain Grant Garvey put the result beyond doubt, before Tuivasa-Sheck scored on the buzzer to give the Roosters their third win from four starts in 2016.  

Roosters 42 (Bernard Lewis 2, Johnny Tuivasa-Sheck 2, Joseph Manu, Luke Chalker, Jarrett Boland, Grant Garvey tries; Jake Steadman 5 goals) defeated Sea Eagles 23 (Jesse Ramien 2, Billy Bainbridge, Lucas Price, Joshua Martin tries; Hutana Coffin 1 goal) at Allianz Stadium. Half-time: Manly 17-16


Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Media Partners

Major Partners

View All Partners