You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Marika Koroibete sprints away to score a length of the field intercept.

The Storm were able to come away with a nine-point victory over the Wests Tigers on Sunday, but it wasn't without nervy moments late in the second half.

Storm start strong

While the second half may not have been a great performance from the Storm, the opening 40 minutes was an offensive clinic.

Four tries in 15 minutes saw the Storm take a 26-0 lead into the main break with an opening double from an unlikely source.

Felise Kaufusi only had one try to his name this season before today, but two tries in eight minutes from the second rower kick started the first half onslaught.

Tohu Harris and Marika Koroibete added first half tries, which was enough in the end for the Storm to get the points.

Tigers early errors costly

Had the lead not ballooned out to 26 points at half-time, the Tigers may have been celebrating a fantastic win against one of the competition's better sides.

Luke Brooks put a kick out on the full early which resulted in a Cameron Smith penalty goal, and an errant Mitchell Moses pass towards the end of the half saw Koroibete clean up the loose ball to run the length of the field and score under the posts.

The Tigers recovered in the second half to push the Storm all the way, although it could have easily been a different story.



Cronk's field goal déjà vu

In Round 7 this season, the Storm came away with a 19-18 win at Leichhardt Oval, after a Cooper Cronk field goal in golden point.

While Sunday's game lasted just the 80 minutes, it was the Queensland halfback again who put the result beyond the Tigers with a one-point play.

Leading 26-20 with five minutes remaining, Cronk let fly with his second field goal attempt of the game, and was able to send this one between the sticks to give the home side an unassailable lead.

Wests second half fight back

The Tigers could have been forgiven for coming out in the second half and going through the motions, but they started the half on fire and only continued to build momentum from there.

James Tedesco scored within minutes of the restart to give his side some confidence, and Luke Brooks and Tim Simona cut the deficit to just 10 points with 20 minutes to play.

After David Nofoaluma crossed in the 65th minute the Tigers were within a converted try, but were unable to find the final piece of the comeback to fall short of a miracle win.

Origin doesn't change contest

Robbie Farah was rested due to a head knock picked up in the final minutes of Origin for the Tigers, but Aaron Woods, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk all backed up on Sunday to great effect.

Woods ran for 119 metres and laid 26 tackles in a solid performance from the Tigers prop, but the Storm's Queensland duo were able to guide their team to victory.

A field goal from Cronk coupled with a perfect 6/6 kicking night from Smith was enough to see the Storm gather their 12th win of the season, and make it two wins from two when the Queensland stars back up.


Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Media Partners

Major Partners

View All Partners