You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Cheyse Blair scores in the corner for Melbourne against the Rabbitohs in Round 22.

The Melbourne Storm snatched victory from the jaws of defeat at AAMI Park on Saturday night, with Cameron Smith the hero in his side's come-from-behind win.


Storm finally first

After short bursts at the top of the NRL ladder in between Storm and Sharks games, Melbourne will finally close out the round in top position.

With the Sharks losing to Canberra in the game prior to the Storm, Melbourne were given the chance to move permanently move top, although they didn't make it easy.

They needed the full 80 minutes plus four more, but they did just enough to move into first place, and now hold a one-point lead over Cronulla with four rounds to go.

Smith the hero

In a game that needed someone to stand up and will his team over the line, Cameron Smith was that man.

Smith's penalty goal on the full-time siren from 38 metres out sent the game into golden point, and showcased nerves of steel from the hooker.

But if you thought that was impressive, Smith outdid himself just four minutes later.

With Cooper Cronk set up to take a field goal 25 metres out, Smith took the ball from dummy half and went himself, putting the ball over the black dot to send the home crowd into celebration mode.

Melbourne pressure equals tries

Usually some teams can get away with defending multiple repeat sets on their own line, but when it's the Storm that are attacking, that usually isn't the case.

Trailing 6-0 at half-time, Melbourne came out of the blocks to begin the second half and scored two tries in the opening 12 minutes to change the entire flow of the match.

Marika Koroibete and Cheyse Blair both scored down the left hand side in a dominant period of Storm play, showing once again that opposition teams must take their chances when given against Craig Bellamy's side.

Missed first-half opportunities

With Souths dominating the Storm for periods of the first half, the visitors would have felt hard done by to have only scored one try.

Four pointers to Aaron Gray and Greg Inglis were both ruled out, but the Rabbitohs rued other missed chances throughout the half that would have put the Storm under much more pressure at the main break.

The Melbourne defence was too tough to break down, which ultimately fuelled the side for a second-half comeback.

Reynolds has kicking boots on

Had Souths won the game, halfback Adam Reynolds would have had a big say in the result.

Reynolds gave his side a lead with just 10 minutes remaining with a penalty goal, and also laid on both tries for Souths with some brilliant kicking.

Reynolds played in Alex Johnston with pinpoint accuracy to place the ball just over the head of Marika Koroibete, before sending a kick right on the try line for Angus Crichton to score in the second half. 



Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Media Partners

Major Partners

View All Partners