NRL players do a whole lot more than just entertain fans on the field. They also get out into the community to assist with charity work, youth development and community support.
Each year the NRL awards the Ken Stephen Medal to a player who has consistently demonstrated their commitment to making a difference in their community and who is seen as a role model in this area at their club. This year's award is presented by Telstra.
Ken Stephen was an administrator who devoted 28 years to the NSWRL in various capacities. He retired shortly before his death in 1988. The Ken Stephen Medal recognises the efforts of an NRL player, who has not only achieved on the field, but has also committed time off the field to community projects.
Vote for your 2016 Ken Stephen medallist now
- Player must demonstrate their significant/unique contribution to the community through Rugby League.
- Player must demonstrate their NRL values of excellence, courage, inclusiveness and teamwork.
- Player must have a history of donating their own time to assist community organisations outside of regular Club commitments as well as empathy with the community.
- Player must have been contracted as an NRL Player for a minimum of three years.
- Reputation intact on and off the field. Suspensions for anything other than "careless" play resulting in a suspension of more than three weeks in the 2016 season will rule out a player from nomination.
- Player must have played at least five NRL games in the current season.
The Rabbitohs elect not to provide an individual nomination for the Ken Stephen Medal.
2016 Nominations for the Ken Stephen Medal presented by Telstra:
BRISBANE BRONCOS - Darius Boyd
CANBERRA RAIDERS - Sia Soliola
CANTERBURY-BANKSTOWN BULLDOGS - Moses Mbye
CRONULLA SHARKS - Paul Gallen
GOLD COAST TITANS - William Zillman
MANLY-WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES - Brenton Lawrence
MELBOURNE STORM - Nelson Asofa Solomona
NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS - Trent Hodkinson
NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS - John Asiata
PARRAMATTA EELS - Tim Mannah
PENRITH PANTHERS - Trent Merrin
ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS - Joel Thompson
SYDNEY ROOSTERS - Kane Evans
NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS - James Gavet
WESTS TIGERS - Dene Halatau