Greg Bird and the Titans celebrate Chris McQueen's try against Cronulla on Monday night.

Titans ready to add to 2017 roster

The Titans are in position to add a further three players to their roster for the 2017 season but insist they do not have the cap space to sign another marquee player.

With confirmation that Luke Douglas is leaving this week to take up a three-year deal with St Helens, the Titans have lost more than 800 games of NRL experience from this year's team and added only Jarrod Wallace (Broncos) and Dan Sarginson (Wigan) as new faces.

 


The club has been linked with moves to sign both Paul Vaughan from the Raiders and Kevin Proctor from Melbourne but Titans chief operating officer Tony Mestrov said that they had bowed out of the race for Vaughan's signature and have made no approach to Proctor, who is contracted to the Storm for a further season.

Much of Neil Henry's success in taking the Titans to the finals for the first time in six years this year was attributed to his patience with the club's salary cap and having the space to add the likes of Nathan Peats, Konrad Hurrell and Jarryd Hayne mid-season.

While Mestrov told NRL.com that they will be again be prepared to wait for the right players to a certain extent, he would like to have the 25-man squad all but finalised when pre-season training begins in a month's time.

"Every club at the moment is having a look to see who they've got and who they might be able to buy and we're definitely looking to fill probably three spots on our roster," Mestrov said.

"Mainly forwards that you would hope come through and play quite a number of games of first grade, they're the type of players we're looking at at the moment.

"We're in a different situation to last year where we had room in the cap and money to spend. I'm not sure if we're going to have that luxury this year."

Proctor recently expressed a desire to return to Queensland to be closer to family which immediately threw the Titans into the mix but Mestrov confirmed no official approach had been made by the club.

"Our position hasn't changed. Melbourne haven't released him and there's been no offer from us," he said.

Mestrov also stated that lock forward Greg Bird is now a "year-by-year" proposition at the Titans and that either Bird or his management would have to approach the club if he wanted a release from the final year of his contract.