You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Such was the back and forth nature of the Warriors' clash with the Knights on Sunday, it's likely it would have left even the most experienced NRL captain a little lost for words at times in the team huddle.

You wonder then what must have been going through the mind of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck at various stages through the eventual 26-22 Warriors win, in what was his first NRL Telstra Premiership game as a captain.

But despite his side falling behind 8-0 in the early stages, and then establishing a 20-8 half-time advantage which they would later give up to trail 22-20, prop Sam Lisone said the 23-year-old Kiwi international didn't show the slightest signs of stress.

"It's always hard being skipper of a Warriors team, but I think Roger controlled himself really well," Lisone told

"He saved us a few times and he led from the front, which is what a captain should do."


In addition to his leadership qualities, Tuivasa-Sheck was also one the club's best performers in the win over Newcastle, a match which doubled as his first competitive game back from a torn ACL which ended his 2016 campaign.

He finished the match with provisional stats of 20 runs for 243 metres and a try assist, while his 50-metre line break, after scooping up a kick on his own try-line, set the Warriors up for a forced dropout which led to Ryan Hoffman scoring the match-winning try with seven minutes remaining.

It was a play which Lisone said Tuivasa-Sheck practice religiously at training.

"He works on that every single day at training, just stepping through holes, he does it all the time," Lisone said.

"It was no coincidence, he does it all the time and I think he has just got a lot of desire in those situations.

"He has a crack, he's not afraid to do that, he is full of energy and gets in the right place at the right time."

When quizzed on how he thought he handled his first match as captain, 'RTS' insisted he didn't feel any extra pressure, as the Warriors lifted to come away with their first Round 1 victory since 2009.

"There were times there where it was pretty frustrating," Tuivasa-Sheck said,

"[But] I am just taking each game as it comes, I didn't feel the pressure today, I am just confident in what we have to do.

"I had the boys backing me, so I believed in them."

Meanwhile the Warriors will wait on further news surrounding injuries to Simon Mannering (neck) and Issac Luke (ribs), after both players left the field early in the second half and didn't return.

The Kiwi club face a short turnaround ahead of Round 2, where they will meet the Melbourne Storm in Auckland on Friday night.



Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Media Partners

Major Partners

View All Partners