Maroons coach Kevin Walters has sprung a number of selection surprises in naming his Queensland team for State of Origin I, preferring Darius Boyd at fullback over Billy Slater and handing Broncos five-eighth Anthony Milford his Origin debut.
With veterans such as Matt Scott and Greg Inglis unavailable, Corey Parker happily retired and Johnathan Thurston named 18th man and considered an outside chance of recovering from a shoulder injury to take his place at Suncorp Stadium next Wednesday night, Walters has ushered in a new wave of Maroons while at the same time sticking solid with some familiar faces.
Milford and Dylan Napa are both in line to make their Origin debuts next week with the knee injury to Nate Myles suffered against the Titans last week not serious enough to put his place in the team in doubt.
Milford has won a contentious battle to wear the Maroons' famous No.6 jersey, chosen ahead of Michael Morgan, Daly Cherry-Evans, Cameron Munster and Corey Norman for the right to partner Cooper Cronk in the halves.
Queensland Maroons Origin I team
1. Darius Boyd (Brisbane Broncos)
2. Corey Oates (Brisbane Broncos)
3. Will Chambers (Melbourne Storm)
4. Justin O'Neill (North Queensland Cowboys)
5. Dane Gagai (Newcastle Knights)
6. Anthony Milford (Brisbane Broncos)
7. Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
8. Dylan Napa (Sydney Roosters)
9. Cameron Smith (c) (Melbourne Storm)
10. Nate Myles (Manly Sea Eagles)
11. Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
12. Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)
13. Josh McGuire (Brisbane Broncos)
14. Michael Morgan (North Queensland Cowboys)
15. Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos)
16. Aidan Guerra (Sydney Roosters)
17. Jacob Lillyman (Warriors)
18. Johnathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)