Warriors halfback and club great Shaun Johnson says he now has the chance to "spread his wings" and gauge interest from rival NRL clubs after having not been offered a deal at the Warriors beyond 2019.
The New Zealand No.7 posted his thoughts on Facebook on Monday, saying the lack of engagement between he and the Auckland-based club had forced his hand.
"I thought it's best I clear a couple things up regarding my situation at this stage with the Warriors," Johnson said.
"Firstly, there is no contract for me to sign past 2019.
"Secondly if you saw the article that came out a few weeks back [...] they said they are in no rush to re-sign me. Since then they have told me again at this stage they [won't] be offering me anything.
"That means I get to spread my wings and see what's out there so right now that's what I'm doing!"
Warriors' top five tries of 2018
Johnson, who has played 162 NRL matches for the Warriors since 2011, was named winner of the Golden Boot award as the best player in the world in 2014.
Possessing one of the best sidesteps the game seen in decades, Johnson also holds the honour of being the highest point scorer in New Zealand Test history.
Despite having already lost halfback Mason Lino to the Newcastle Knights, the chasm between Johnson and the Warriors appears to have grown wider.
In positive news for the club, they have Blake Green contracted until the end of 2020.
"All of you know how much the [Warriors] mean to me and how grateful I am for the opportunity they have given me to live my dreams and play the sport I love!" Johnson added in his social media post.
"Hope that clears up any confusion, tell ya friends [so I] stop getting asked the same questions. Will keep you posted with what happens next."