You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Warriors half Shaun Johnson.

Shaun Johnson has not given a second thought to Cronulla's impending salary cap investigation beyond assuring his distressed family he won't be moved on before lacing a boot for the besieged club.

With a verdict on the Sharks cap issues expected to be delivered by the NRL imminently, Johnson had been singled out as the 'last man in' on Cronulla's roster and a potential casualty if the club must shed players to be compliant.

If the Sharks are hit with a significant breach, the future of Johnson and hooker James Segeyaro could become clouded.

NRL.com understands Segeyaro's new one-year deal was lodged with head office on Tuesday after careful consultation with former NRL salary cap auditor Jamie L'Oste Brown.

If approved it's believed that would make the livewire rake technically the most recent squad addition given Segeyaro was off the club's books on November 1, the end of the rugby league financial year.

The NRL will not speculate on potential sanctions for the club after Sharks officials self-reported a breach. Cronulla will assess the situation with their roster once the findings are released.

Johnson meanwhile will trot out for his new club for the first time in Saturday's trial against the Knights in Maitland.

Johnson keen to add his own flavour to Sharks

Cronulla remain optimistic that they won't lose a big name out of any punishment handed down by NRL, while Johnson's only thought on the matter was to put his concerned parents at ease.

"I signed a contract and it got registered with the NRL," Johnson told NRL.com.

"I'm here just to focus on footy. There's been lots of speculation that's been reported but I haven't put any time into it except trying to convince my parents that everything is OK. That's what really pissed me off.

"They just said 'what's going on?' It's nothing crazy but I just said don't read it."

Johnson was signed on a three-year deal by the Sharks when his junior club the Warriors gave him permission to look elsewhere, his relationships with coach Stephen Kearney and CEO Cameron George rocky to say the least afterwards.

It was Shane Flanagan who recruited the Kiwi star and played personal tour guide before the 28-year-old inked his Cronulla contract, only for the premiership-winning coach to be deregistered by the NRL weeks later.

Flanagan and Cronulla were proactive in keeping Johnson informed of their recruitment strategy before his exit, briefings he says weren't provided by the Warriors.

Likewise the club's transparency around their end of the NRL's investigation has been received well by Johnson, while rookie coach John Morris has also won over the star playmaker by playing to his strengths.

"I met John when I came across to the club and they were really open and honest with what was happening there," Johnson said.

"They said 'there will be some things, that may happen, they may not'. They said they would be completely transparent and they have been with me throughout the whole process.

Graham looking forward to Johnson changing Sharks

"I wasn't shocked when Flanno was stood down. I was gutted for him and what he would have to go through.

"But working under Bomber (Morris) has been really good, he's doing a terrific job.

"He's young. That's exciting. Not too long ago he was a player so he understands what we go through day-to-day.

"It's so important for coaches to really understand players and what they're feeling, the highs and lows not just on the field but the media aspects and everything that makes up being a footy player.

"It's an open door with Bomber. I'd say everyone feels like they can just go and have a chat with him about anything and everything. He's a caring bloke and he's got that relationship with the young guys, it's a very strong one".