The get-out clause in Seibold's Broncos contract

Brisbane have a protection mechanism built into Anthony Seibold's five-year deal to cover the club if things go horribly wrong during the coach's tenure.

NRL.com understands the Broncos, at the time of drawing up the contract, had a performance-based termination clause inserted into Seibold's deal with an agreed pay-out.

It is understood if the Broncos decided to pull the trigger, the club would not have to pay Seibold the remainder of his deal – but at least 12 months' salary.

The Broncos declined to comment when contacted this week.

There has been plenty of criticism of the Broncos in recent weeks in regards to the decision to sign Seibold for five years – plus an option for a sixth.

While there is no pressure on Seibold to hold on to his job after his first season in charge at the club, that pressure will intensify next season if the Broncos start the year slowly or struggle to make an impact on the competition.

Seibold showed in his first season in charge at South Sydney that he is a capable coach, however the situation he walked into at Brisbane made for a tough opening year for the 44-year-old.

The club is still reeling after the humiliating 58-0 loss to Parramatta in the opening weekend of the finals, with heads set to roll as a result of the embarrassing performance.

The Broncos went through a messy break-up with former coach Wayne Bennett last year to bring Seibold to the club.

While Brisbane have bowed out in the opening week of the finals the past two years, there is a stark contrast in the results over the two years.

In 2018 the Broncos won 15 of their 24 games and, while they finished in sixth, were just two points away from the minor premiers in one of the closest competitions in history.

This year the Broncos won four fewer games and made the finals in eighth position before their annihilation at the hands of Parramatta at Bankwest Stadium less than a fortnight ago.

It has sparked what is likely to be a clean-out, with Seibold to be given total control as he looks to stamp his authority on a roster and set-up he inherited.

Sam's shoulder could cut career short

There are serious concerns about the state of Sam Burgess's shoulder and how it could affect the remainder of his career.

Burgess still has four more years to run on his deal with South Sydney after signing a long-term extension late last year, however the shoulder isn't getting any better and the Bunnies are bracing themselves for a potentially difficult conversation during the next 12 months.

Fellow South Sydney premiership-winner Greg Inglis also battled a shoulder injury in his last days an NRL player, eventually deciding to retire earlier in the year.

Burgess, who turns 31 in December, may find himself at a similar crossroad this time next year if the shoulder continues to deteriorate.

However those close to the Englishman insist he still has at least another year left in him.

Maguire softens approach

A lot has been said about disgruntled Wests Tigers forward Ryan Matterson during the past fortnight, in particularly his relationship with coach Michael Maguire.

While Matterson isn't a fan of Maguire's coaching approach, the Tigers mentor has tried to look after his best forward as recently as the final round of the season.

In the week leading into the club's biggest game of the year, the do-or-die showdown against the Sharks at Leichhardt Oval, Matterson approached the coach and asked for a day off.

Matterson told Maguire was feeling flat, and in turn the coach then gave him the day off and he consequently sat out the team's training session on the Wednesday before the game.

Maguire was made aware some time ago there had been rumblings around Matterson's feelings towards him, but when the coach confronted his back-rower about it, the 24-year-old denied there was an issue.

It wasn't the message Matterson was giving to others, nor was it the message coming from his management to the club.

Wade off limits but Fifita an option

Given Cronulla's salary cap predicament for next season, a number of clubs are trying to capitalise on the situation and made enquiries about luring skipper Wade Graham away from the Sutherland Shire.

The Sharks have insisted Graham is off-limits, despite their need to shed players after bringing Jesse Ramien back to the club.

However, the Sharks will consider releasing a host of other big-name players if the right offer comes along, including prop Andrew Fifita.

The Tongan international endured an underwhelming season by his high standards and is one of several names that could face the squeeze during the off-season as Cronulla look to become salary cap compliant.

Eels ramp up CEO search

The Parramatta Eels held interviews with prospective CEOs during their trip to Melbourne for the semi-final against the Storm last week.

Club representatives flew into Melbourne the day before the game against the Storm to meet with a number of applicants.

 

The views in this article do not necessarily express the opinions of the NRL, ARLC, NRL clubs or state associations.