You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Brisbane fullback Jack Bird.

Injured star Jack Bird is expected to take up his player option for 2021 in the hope of donning Brisbane's famous No.1 jersey again next year.

Bird was cruelly struck down by his second ACL rupture in 10 months just two days before round one, and is now three weeks into his recovery from reconstructive surgery.

Like several teammates including Anthony Milford, Andrew McCullough and Corey Oates, he has a contract option for next season in his favour, which under normal circumstances had to be taken up by the end of May.

The NRL has told clubs no deals will be registered while a rescheduled season is being formulated, with Brisbane putting all contract talks on hold.

Bird was granted permission to negotiate with rival clubs late last year.

He opted to stay after having "no meaningful discussions or sit-downs with other clubs" per his agent Chris Orr in October.

Bailey's Bunker: The importance of staying connected through #Coliv19

Uncertainties around the 2021 player market and Bird's fitness point to the NSW Origin utility being at Red Hill for next season, the last of a lucrative four-year that brought him from Cronulla in 2017.

Seibold told NRL.com that Brisbane hoped to sort out several contract matters, including Bird's, as the game got closer to its proposed May 28 restart date, but stressed his welfare and rehabilitation were the first priority.

"Everything's up in the air. I'd like to continue to coach Jack, but it is ultimately his decision," Seibold said.

"At the moment the guidelines from the NRL are that all contracts and decisions around contracts are on hold at the moment.

"There's a number of players at our club with options, and a number of players at other clubs with the same so that's all been stalled.

"There's no rush at the moment though and the best thing is we've got time for Jack, the last thing we want to do is rush his rehabilitation."

Speaking to 2016 title-winning Sharks teammate Chad Townsend on his Talk of the Town podcast, Bird detailed the work he had put into his transition to fullback before going down at training, and vowed to get himself back on the paddock after first breaking down in tears when his ACL tear was confirmed.

"Hopefully I can get back on the field next year and hopefully Seibs [coach Anthony Seibold] still has his plan of me playing fullback," Bird said.

"I've got another year up here so I've just got to see what happens there. Hopefully I can get a full season and get back on my feet.

"… If it takes me 12 months to come back, it takes me 12 months. If it takes me 14 months, it takes me 14 months.

We Stand As One

"I just want to get back out on the field and play a full season without having another injury because you know what injuries can do to your state of mind."

By his own admission, Bird's time at the Broncos has failed to meet expectations, with the 25-year-old managing just 17 games in three years due to a sternum injury and two ACL tears.

Bird has been open about his battle with homesickness at times since arriving in Brisbane, but had been at his fittest and happiest leading into the 2020 season.

A possible return to Sydney prompted last year's bid to enter the player market by Bird and his management, and the Illawarra junior still sees himself finishing his career in his home state.

NRL players reveal their secrets

"In five years time I definitely see myself probably back down in Sydney," Bird told Townsend's podcast.

"I don't know who for, if I'm still playing footy at that time obviously.

"But if I'm still playing footy I see myself down in Sydney for sure around family."