You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Broncos forward Tevita Pangai.

Broncos coach Anthony Seibold wants star forward Tevita Pangai jnr to play with more game smarts when he returns from suspension against the Knights on Thursday night.

Since the start of the 2019 season, Pangai has been suspended for a total of 12 games, including a five-match ban for a crusher tackle on James Maloney, a one-week ban for a high shot on Phillip Sami and a two-match stint on the sidelines for a late shot on Cooper Cronk.

The Tongan international's most recent transgression was a four-week suspension for dangerous contact on Cowboys centre Justin O'Neill in round one of this season.

Pangai's value to the team is revealed by the fact that the Broncos have only won two of the 12 games he has missed since the start of last year.

"It is a balance because you don't want to take away what Tevita's strengths are which is being aggressive and having plenty of intent on both sides of the footy," Seibold said when asked how Pangai needed to approach his role.

Seibold: We don't want Tevita to change

"The last two times that Tevita has got himself in trouble it was just probably a rush of blood on both occasions so he has got to be a little bit smarter there.

"We don't want Tevita to change how he plays the game. I like how he plays the game. It is about learning and being a little bit smarter with some of his actions on the field.

"Tevita will come into the back-row. He has trained really consistently since we have come back from the COVID break.

Broncos welcome Luke ahead of McCullough match-up

"He started the season really well against the Cowboys but was really disappointed with his actions to get suspended. He has got an opportunity to go out there and help the team."

The hamstring injury suffered by centre Kotoni Staggs at Sunday's training session will see him miss four to six weeks.

"We will have a look at Herbie Farnworth and Alex Glenn to fill that position with Jesse Arthars also out [injured],” Seibold said.

Issac Luke has signed with the Broncos after being released from the Dragons and he will be named in 21-man squad for the clash with the Knights.

With Jake Turpin on the sidelines for four-to-six weeks with a tibia fracture, Andrew McCullough being released to the Knights and rookie Cory Paix the only recognised rake on the Broncos books the signing of Luke has come at just the right time.

"We had a  look around and there are a number of players in the Queensland Cup or NSW Cup that can fill that position or players not getting opportunities at other clubs," Seibold said.

Broncos learn extent of Staggs' hamstring injury

"Issac’s name came across our desk and I thought that for that position, bringing in someone who has played over 270-odd games and 50 Tests for New Zealand for that spot and price made a lot of sense.

"Issac's wife has got family in Brisbane so it is a good fit for him for the next few months.

"It is a good fit for us too because he gets to help Cory Paix while Jake Turpin is out. We think he will be a good addition. We will name him in our 21 but he only arrived yesterday afternoon.

"We probably won’t make a decision on our bench until after tomorrow’s run because we need to see how he is and also make sure we fill that centre position appropriately."