Anthony Seibold says the Broncos are desperate to keep off-contract forward David Fifita but concedes the club won't be able to match the giant deal tabled by the Titans.
Seibold spoke on Thursday about the reported $5 million five-year offer tabled by Titans head of performance and culture Mal Meninga but said the Broncos were up for the fight.
"I reckon there wouldn't be a person in front of me here that wouldn't consider that kind of money. He won't be able to get that sort of money at the Broncos but we are desperate to keep David," Seibold said ahead of Saturday night's clash with the Gold Coast at Suncorp Stadium.
"We have a great relationship with him and his family. Would a young bloke be interested in that sort of money for that length of deal? Of course they would. We don't want to lose David.
"When Mal, the Kangaroo coach, knocks on your door it is going to make him think and his family think. We will do our best to keep him. If that has been offered to him and he is thinking about that, then I can certainly see why."
Broncos v Titans - Round 7
Two of the Broncos' highest-paid players Anthony Milford and Jack Bird have taken up options for next year. Darius Boyd will retire at the end of the season but Seibold said there were reasons why the Broncos were yet to re-sign Fifita.
"Why haven't we signed him yet? It is because we do have some salary cap issues for next year and you can't go over the cap," he said.
"It is not because he has agreed anywhere else or doesn't want to stay here. From my understanding he loves the club but you can understand him being half interested in that sort of money at such a young age. We will keep fighting hard to get better and we will keep fighting hard to keep him. I believe we will.
"What we are trying to do is keep him with the rest of the young guys coming through because we believe that if we continue to build over the next 18 months that we can do something really special as a group."
In other signing news Seibold said that fullback Tesi Niu, who will start for the first time against the Titans, had agreed verbally to an extension.
"I got told yesterday afternoon that there had been a bit of speculation that Tesi might be leaving but he has verbally agreed, we are actually waiting on the manager to send back confirmation of that by email," Seibold said.
"Tesi has recommitted and confirmed that with both myself and [recruitment chief] Pete Nolan this week. He is happy here and has got a good opportunity this week. We see him as a player with potential."
Out and out fullback: Kimmorley's call to move Milford
The Broncos will play 19-year-old half Tom Dearden off the bench where he is set to play dummy-half.
Jamayne Isaako is set to be 18th man with Dearden getting his first shot in the NRL this year as the Broncos aim to arrest a four-game losing streak.
"Tom is there to cover Issac Luke. We lost Cory Paix to injury on Tuesday and I don't think Isaac is ready to play 80 minutes yet so Tom is there as cover," Seibold said.
"He is a very smart footy player with a good passing and kicking game. He is a tough kid defensively."