You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Johnson 'believes' Proctor, will give evidence

Shaun Johnson has spoken on the biting allegation levelled against Titans forward Kevin Proctor, saying he believes him Kiwis teammate.

Proctor, who has pleaded not guilty, will now have Johnson in his corner at the judiciary on Tuesday night.

In a post on Instagram, Johnson outlined his thoughts.

"Do I believe Kev had a nibble on my arm? At the time yes I did - otherwise I wouldn’t have reacted the way I did," he wrote.

"Since then I have spoken to Kev and he’s told me he didn’t and I believe him. I've also had time to watch the footage - the same footage you've all seen and can see that maybe the force I had against his open mouth with my arm could have been the reason I felt what I did.

"In the heat of the moment I reacted the way I did and I can’t change that, no way did I think he would get sent from the field but I did think we’d get something for it.

Proctor sent off after alleged bite on Johnson

"I hate that this has taken attention away from the fact it was Kev's 250th first grade game and what an unreal player he has been for so long for both club and country.

"I’ll be supporting Kev at the judiciary tonight where I can, as I believe him being sent off and ultimately costing his team the game is big enough punishment."

Johnson's thoughts came hours after the lawyer representing Proctor at the judiciary hearing confirmed the Cronulla playmaker would give evidence.

 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

How are we team, Time to clear the air and let you know where I stand on what happened during last weeks game. This is not an apology. After this post I won’t be talking about it again so take what you want from it and jog on. To the media outlets that’ll likely grab this and twist it. Please don’t. Do I believe Kev had a nibble on my arm? At the time yes I did - otherwise I wouldn’t have reacted the way I did. Since then I have spoken to Kev and he’s told me he didn’t and I believe him. I’ve also had time to watch the footage - the same footage you’ve all seen and can see that maybe the force I had against his open mouth with my arm could have been the reason I felt what I did. In the heat of the moment I reacted the way I did and I can’t change that, no way did I think he would get sent from the field but I did think we’d get something for it. I hate that this has taken attention away from the fact it was Kevs 250th first grade game and what an unreal player he has been for so long for both club and country. I’ll be supporting Kev at judiciary tonight where I can, as I believe him being sent off and ultimately costing his team the game is big enough punishment. That’s where I stand, take what you want from it. I’m not here to please everyone and I know the “did he bite” debate has divided the rugby league community which is fine but I’ll remain honest & transparent to myself and those who follow me. Those who have sent messages of support through I really appreciate it & to those calling me snitch or a rat well hey maybe I am but all I’m thinking about is my team & winning a game of footy 🤷🏽‍♂️😂 UpUp. 🌊 🌊🌊

A post shared by Shaun Johnson (@shaun_johnson90) on

After Proctor's dismissal in Saturday's match at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Johnson initially said he did not intend to take part in the hearing.

However, Tim Fuller of Gadens law firm, said on Tuesday that Johnson would testify about the 56th-minute incident, which resulted in Proctor being sent off by referee Henry Perenara and referred straight to the judiciary.

"There have been reports around Shaun Johnson being available tonight as part of the hearing. That would be expected," Fuller told Brisbane's RadioTAB Breakfast Show.

"Kevin is going to be able to produce his defence directly to the judiciary. We are going to utilise some other avenues when it comes to providing evidence around the events.

"The opponent in this particular matter, Shaun Johnson, will be called on to produce his testimony in relation to it.

"It is really an opportunity for all people involved to put forward their version of events and to give the judiciary the best opportunity to make that determination as to whether there actually has been this biting event or not.

Proctor to fight for reputation at NRL Judiciary

"I would expect Shaun will be required to appear tonight and to be effectively cross-examined by our side and also asked to give his own testimony to the judiciary as to what he believes happened."

Proctor has entered a plea of not guilty and vehemently denies biting Johnson.

"The event has obviously divided opinions among current and former players or commentators," Fuller said.

"Everybody has an opinion on what they have seen but ultimately the judiciary have to produce the evidence and the onus on them is to establish that Kevin Proctor has actually bitten Shaun Johnson.

"We have got some pretty solid reasons for why we think the judiciary tonight should clear Kevin Proctor of that charge."