A host of players won't benefit from an official trial leading into round one after being ruled out of action this weekend because of niggling injuries.
Warriors duo Chanel Harris-Tavita (quad) and David Fusitu'a (knock) have been ruled out against the Titans at Lismore on Saturday. Both are expected to be fit for March 13's season opener.
Cronulla's Toby Rudolf and Aiden Tolman were left out of their side's hit-out against the Bulldogs with "minor leg injuries", according to the club. The forwards should be fine when the competition starts.
Canterbury No.9 Jeremy Marshall-King will miss the Sharks trial with a foot injury. While playing for the Maori All Stars, Marshall-King suffered a low-grade Lisfranc injury last weekend and will visit a specialist. His availability for round one is yet to be determined.
Cowboys props Jordan McLean and Josh McGuire have also been kept on ice for a clash with the Broncos due to hamstring issues. Likewise for Roosters halfback Luke Keary, whose strain means he won't face Canberra on Saturday but is in little doubt for round one.
Storm centre Brenko Lee is another who is hampered by hamstring tightness, sidelining him for a trial against Newcastle, while Knights back Hymel Hunt won't play due to a similar issue.
Fellow Knight Edrick Lee will miss the start of the season after fracturing his foot at training, according to the Newcastle Herald.
The winger won't undergo surgery but he is expected to miss at least one or two games at the start of the season.
Wests Tigers young gun Shawn Blore is set to be sidelined for eight weeks with a wrist injury, meaning he won't take the field in the regular season until round six at the earliest.
It's a blow for the promising 20-year-old who was challenging for a starting spot in the Tigers' second row this season.
Blore's teammate Moses Mbye will miss this week's trial with a hamstring injury but is expected to be fit for the start of the regular season.
Manly star Tom Trbojevic's hamstring issues have flared up again with a pre-season training mishap putting him out of action until round four.
Trbojevic revealed he suffered the injury to his right hamstring in the bathroom on the weekend, slipping over at the family home.
The injury and is not related to previous injuries to his left hamstring.
"I'm devastated by what's happened. I will be working hard with the rehab team to get the hamstring right," Trbojevic said on Monday.
Trbojevic is expected to miss six to seven weeks with a return in round four on the cards.
Broncos veteran Dale Copley is out for at least six weeks after suffering a throat injury in Friday night's trial game against Wynnum Manly at Kitchener Park.
Scans have revealed the former Titans utility back has dislocated cartilage and a small fracture.
Ready to play? Join our league of strong and confident kids
The Broncos announced on Sunday that he has undergone a laryngoscopy which showed significant trauma to the throat and swelling in his airway.
"Dale must rest from all exercise for at least a week and will have another laryngoscopy to determine if he needs surgery," Brisbane head of performance Andrew Croll said.
"He will need at least six weeks out of contact, and we will have to see how it settles to determine on when he can return to low-intensity exercise."
In a further blow, Broncos teammate Herbie Farnworth will miss Saturday's Alex Glenn Testimonial game against the Cowboys after undergoing surgery to remove some painful tissue from his chest.
Elsewhere, Eels journeyman Michael Oldfield is also looking at a six-week stint on the sidelines after injuring his knee in the trial win over the Dragons on Thursday.
The centre left the field early, suffering an MCL sprain. He is expected to return to play in rounds four or the NRL season.
2021 NRL premiers
To participate in the survey, you must be logged in to your NRL account.
Sign up to a FREE NRL Account and unlock this content. Creating an NRL Account is easy and will give you access to NRLTV, featured editorials, special ticketing offers, free competitions and much more.
Not sure? Learn more about an NRL Account.
The Casualty Ward
- Corey Oates (hand, trials)
- Tom Flegler (shoulder, trials)
- Herbie Farnworth (chest, round 1)
- Anthony Milford (broken hand, round 1-2)
- Payne Haas (suspended, round 4)
- Dale Copley (throat, indefinite)
- Kotoni Staggs (knee, mid-season)
Stuart discusses Foundation plans and season ahead
Bailey Simonsson has been named in the club's pre-season trial against the Roosters despite withdrawing from the All Stars with a minor leg complaint.
- Ryan James (knee, trials)
- Bailey Simonsson (leg, trials)
- Josh Hodgson (knee, trials)
- Ryan Sutton (knee, trials)
- Corey Horsburgh (foot, trials)
- Emre Guler (ankle, trials)
- Curtis Scott (leg, trials)
- Jarrod Croker (shoulder, rounds 3-4)
Jeremy Marshall-King will miss this weekend's trial due to a foot injury.
Jake Averillo is expected to be fit for the start of the season despite suffering an elbow injury at training.
- Jeremy Marshall-King (foot, TBA)
- Adam Elliott (shoulder, trials)
- Joe Stimson (shoulder, trials)
- Dylan Napa (knee, trials)
- Jake Averillo (elbow, round 1)
- Raymond Faitala-Mariner (ankle, early rounds)
- Luke Thompson (suspended, round 5)
- Jayden Okunbor (knee, mid-late season)
- Christian Crichton (knee, season)
Barrett's influence helps prepare Flanagan
Prop Royce Hunt is targeting an earlier-than-expected return from a ruptured patella in round one or two.
Halfback Shaun Johnson has started field running as he continues his recovery from the Achilles injury he suffered in September.
- Blayke Brailey (ankle, trials)
- Matt Moylan (hamstring, trials)
- Josh Dugan (neck, trials)
- Toby Rudolf (leg, round 1)
- Aiden Tolman (leg, round 1)
- Royce Hunt (knee, round 1-2)
- Siosifa Talakai (shoulder, round 1-3)
- Shaun Johnson (Achilles, round 5-8)
- Jack A Williams (throat, indefinite)
- Bronson Xerri (stood down)
Titans fullback AJ Brimson has declared that "round one is 100% on the cards" as he aims to return from an ankle injury in the trials.
Five-eighth Ash Taylor has progressed nicely after hips and wrist surgeries and should be ready for the trial against the Warriors in February.
- David Fifita (thumb, trials)
- Tino Fa'asuamaleaui (knee, trials)
- AJ Brimson (foot, trials)
- Jai Whitbread (ankle, trials)
- Ash Taylor (hip/wrist, trials)
- Sam McIntyre (foot, trials)
- Kevin Proctor (hamstring, round 1)
Manly have received a blow on the eve of the season with Tom Trbojevic sidelined for another six weeks with a hamstring injury.
- Josh Aloiai (knee, trials)
- Dylan Walker (foot, round 1)
- Kieran Foran (pectoral, round 1)
- Cade Cust (ankle, round 1)
- Josh Schuster (ankle, round 1)
- Moses Suli (foot, round 1)
- Tom Trbojevic (hamstring, round 4)
- Jorge Taufua (Achilles, April)
- Manase Fainu (stood down)
- Brenko Lee (hamstring, round 1)
Knights halfback Mitchell Pearce has returned to full training after undergoing thumb surgery.
Lachlan Fitzgibbon will miss the start of the season following shoulder surgery.
Utility Connor Watson said he would "definitely" make his return from an Achilles injury in a trial against Melbourne next Saturday.
Watson didn't train on Friday after being "jammed up in a tackle the other day", but insisted medical staff were being cautious and that he was fit and excited to play after seven months out.
- Jayden Brailey (knee, trials)
- Connor Watson (achilles, trials)
- Mitchell Pearce (thumb, trials-round 1)
- Hymel Hunt (hamstring, round 1)
- Kalyn Ponga (shoulder, rounds 1-4)
- Blake Green (knee, rounds 5-8)
- Jirah Momoisea (Achilles, indefinite)
- Lachlan Fitzgibbon (shoulder, indefinite)
- Edrick Lee (foot, early rounds)
- Jordan McLean (hamstring, round 1)
- Michael Morgan (calf, trials)
- Kyle Feldt (groin, trials)
- Josh McGuire (hamstring, round 1)
- Kane Bradley (shoulder, round 4)
- Tom Gilbert (broken fibula, early rounds)
New recruit Bryce Cartwright suffered a broken jaw at training and is expected to miss as much as the first month of the season. Michael Oldfield is looking at a similar absence with a knee injury.
- Michael Oldfield (knee, round 4)
- Blake Ferguson (knee, round 1)
- Maika Sivo (knee, round 1)
- Marata Niukore (suspended, round 2)
- Bryce Cartwright (broken jaw, early rounds)
- Michael Jennings (stood down)
Yeo and Cleary ready to lead young cubs
- Charlie Staines (hamstring, trials)
Rabbitohs fullback Latrell Mitchell made a successful return from a hamstring injury in Saturday's 10-10 draw in the All Stars clash.
- Cameron Murray (hamstring, trials)
- Adam Reynolds (groin, trials)
- Junior Tatola (ankle/knee, trials)
- Jai Arrow (hamstring, trials)
- Taane Milne (knee, rounds 1-4)
- Braidon Burns (knee, indefinite)
- Brock Gardner (Achilles, indefinite)
New recruit Andrew McCullough got through his first trial game at the club unscathed after returning from a hamstring injury.
- Jack Bird (knee, trials)
- Billy Brittain (shoulder, round 1)
- Cameron McInnes (knee, season)
- Jack de Belin (stood down)
Ready to play? Join our league of strong and confident kids
Young centre Billy Smith is hoping to return mid-season following a shoulder reconstruction.
Roosters duo Victor Radley and Sam Verrills remain on track to return from knee injuries in the early rounds of the Telstra Premiership next season.
The club has applied for salary cap dispensation as captain Boyd Cordner continues to recover from a series of head knocks. Under the application, Cordner would have to sit out the opening 12 rounds for the Roosters to be granted $350,000 in salary cap relief.
- Siosiua Taukeiaho (knee, trials)
- Luke Keary (hamstring, round 1)
- Victor Radley (knee, early rounds)
- Sam Verrills (knee, early rounds)
- Billy Smith (shoulder, mid-season)
- Boyd Cordner (concussion, indefinite)
Warriors forward Eliesa Katoa is in doubt for round one after fracturing his eye socket in a training ground collision.
- Ben Murdoch-Masila (pectoral, trials)
- Leeson Ah Mau (pectoral, trials)
- Jackson Frei (knee, trials)
- Bunty Afoa (knee, trials)
- Chanel Harris-Tavita (quadriceps, round 1)
- David Fusitu'a (knock, round 1)
- Eliesa Katoa (fractured eye-socket, round 1-2)
- Karl Lawton (Achilles, late season)
A wrist injury is set to keep 20-year-old forward Shawn Blore on the sidelines until round six at the earliest. Moses Mbye is expected to recover from a hamstring injury before round one.
- James Roberts (pectoral, trials)
- Adam Doueihi (suspended, round 2)
- Zane Musgrove (suspended, round 3)
- Billy Walters (knee, indefinite)
- Shawn Blore (wrist, round 6-8)
- Moses Mbye (hamstring, round 1)