The NRL and Brisbane will seek further advice from the Victorian government after it declared the Queensland capital a red zone as 50 Broncos players and staff hit the road for at least the next fortnight.
The announcement of a snap, three-day lockdown by Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk was followed by Victoria's stance, which requires a permit and 14 days quarantine to be observed to enter the state from 6pm on Monday.
Kevin Walters's side flew out of Brisbane to Sydney on a chartered flight at 4pm AEDT, where they will prepare for Friday's grudge match with the Storm.
Speaking before the Victorian government's update, NRL head of football Graham Annesley said the clash would go ahead as scheduled at Melbourne's AAMI Park.
However, the prospect of shifting the match to Sydney, as part of a Good Friday double header at Stadium Australia after the traditional Bulldogs-Rabbitohs fixture, has also been discussed.
Match Highlights: Broncos v Bulldogs
"That's being bandied around the moment but we've made no call on that," Annesley said.
"At this stage the game is in Melbourne and we will wait and see what develops over the next few days.
"We'll do everything we can to keep the competition as scheduled.
"However we have to balance that against the continuation of the competition.
"The Commission's overriding priority is to make sure that we can get the competition away, that we don't have to suspend games or suspend rounds and games can be played."
Episode 5 - Brisbane lockdown, 18th man proposal and Steve Renouf
The Broncos will based in Sydney after round four regardless of where the Storm game is played given they face South Sydney on Thursday, April 8.
Annesley acknowledged an extension of Brisbane's COVID-19 lockdown, or change in the pandemic's landscape, could prevent the Broncos from returning home indefinitely.
"Of course there's a chance that the Queensland government could lock Brisbane down for a longer period of time," Annesley said.
"At this stage it's three days.
"There's a chance that the lockdown could be extended beyond the current geographical areas but the difficulty of this is we are guessing.
"We're not making any decisions other than the immediate decisions that we have to make for the continuation of the competition."
Brisbane's next home game is slated for Thursday night in round six against 2020 grand finalists Penrith.
As it stands, round four NRL clashes on the Sunshine Coast, where the Cowboys host Cronulla, and the Gold Coast, where the Titans take on Canberra, are not affected by the Brisbane lockdown.
Broncos players have been in home isolation since Saturday's win over Canterbury at Suncorp Stadium and have all returned negative COVID-19 tests.
"The players and staff have taken the changes in their stride, and while it’s tough on many of our team with young families, they are keen to get on the road and prepare for a great challenge against the Storm," interim Broncos CEO Neil Monaghan said.
“We will then stay in Sydney to get ready for the Rabbitohs game, which will ensure the continuity of the competition.
"Coach Kevin Walters and all the players and staff are seeing this time on the road as a great opportunity to further strengthen their team bond, especially coming off the back of a morale-boosting win."
Match Highlights: Broncos v Bulldogs
Intrust Super Cup fixtures won't be affected by the lockdown at this point as the competition already had an Easter break scheduled between rounds 2 and 3 – which is due to kick off on April 10.
The Storm did however pull several players, including Queensland Origin centre Brenko Lee, from feeder club duties last week after the detection of positive COVID-19 cases in Brisbane.
Lee was due to return from a calf injury via the second-tier competition, and given he hasn't played top-flight football since last November, is expected to be kept on ice for at least another week.