You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Feldt no-try ruling incorrect as Annesley calls for freeze-frame consideration

NRL head of football Graham Annesley says Bunker officials will "take into consideration" future decisions when frame-freezing comes into play after conceding Kyle Feldt's no-try against the Broncos last week should've been awarded.

Feldt looked like he grounded a Scott Drinkwater kick in the 61st minute of the Queensland derby on Friday night in a decision that ended up halting any momentum the Cowboys generated midway through the second half.

While Cowboys coach Todd Payten didn't focus too much on the call post-match, he believed it was a case of "looking at reasons to take the try away" when slowing down the put-down on review.

Annesley agreed on Tuesday during the NRL's weekly briefing, indicating the try should've been given before comparing the try to Manly winger Jason Saab's finger-tip effort against Cronulla on Monday night.

"Even though there's separation from the palms you can see the fingers are still arguably touching the ball," Annesley said of Feldt's effort.

"I don't think there's enough evidence for the Bunker to overturn the decision. Sometimes by overanalysing these things we can get ourselves into a bit of trouble.

"I think the real risk we run here is that in going to this level of detail for a try like this, it makes it very difficult for the Bunker in normal circumstances to overturn the on-field decision.

Graham Annesley weekly football briefing - Round 20

"I think the Bunker officials need to take into consideration, and they will be going forward taking into consideration the fact that one frame doesn't tell the full story of whether a try has been scored or not."

Making matters more confusing, viewers were told via Fox League's broadcast the try had been confirmed by the Bunker before on-field referee Chris Sutton stopped play less than 10 seconds later.

Annesley said the Bunker had not made a final decision at the time.

"People in the Fox production are able to hear the conversations with the officials in the Bunker who are making decisions," Annesley said.

"The broadcasters were picking up on the conversations within the Bunker but the activation of try confirmed had not taken place.

"When they looked at the play originally and at normal speed, they were in the same view as I am now, that it was a try.

"It was the freeze-frame that changed their original review."

Meanwhile, Annesley said he was hopeful the venues for round 21 would be locked in by Wednesday after seven of eight games were hosted at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium last week.

Where should the Grand Final be played?

Clashes were due to take place on the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Redcliffe this weekend but that is likely to change for NRL clubs given the state's lockdown.

"The schedule will go ahead in terms of timeslots," Annesley said.

"We're working through the finer details with that. The clubs know what time they're playing, the only thing that needs to be confirmed is what venue they're at.

"There's certainly a preference from the government to consolidate the venues to a small number.

"We're in the hands of the government with some of these decisions and respect that."