Parramatta forward Ryan Matterson continues to mount his case towards a potential State of Origin debut by dominating the VB Hard Earned Index in his side's Round 11 win over the Sea Eagles.
Promoted to the run-on team after coming off the bench, Matterson made the most of his prominent role for Brad Arthur's side — making 21 runs (11 of which were for more than eight metres) and 31 tackles without missing as the Eels came from behind for a thrilling 22-20 victory at CommBank Stadium.
No player in the competition made more offloads (6) than Matterson, who finished atop the weekly VB Hard Earned Index score for the first time this year with 103.
Wests Tigers lock Joe Ofahengaue has flown under the radar in recent weeks but produced arguably his best effort of the year to help his team get the job done against Canterbury — setting up the first try of the night to go with his 18 runs, 28 tackles, two tackle busts and seven line supports to finish a 95-point haul.
Ofahengaue was joined in the top five by teammate Luke Garner (83 points), who he set up for his side's first try, who himself had a strong all-round performance with three tackle busts, 25 tackles and nine runs of eight-plus metres.
Garner powers over
Manly wingers Christian Tuipulotu and Reuben Garrick made more eight-plus metre runs than any other players in the round — chalking up 16 and 15 respectively — while Broncos young gun Selwyn Cobbo broke an incredible 12 tackles.
Sharks debutant Lachlan Miller was impressive in his first NRL game, scoring 74 points courtesy of 14 runs of eight-plus metres and nine tackle busts.
Magic Miller shines on debut
In terms of the overall leaderboard, Panthers skipper Isaah Yeo remains the man to catch as he slightly extended his lead ahead of Parramatta forward Isaiah Papali'i. Broncos forward Payne Haas sits in third after his return from injury, with Wests Tigers duo Ofahengaue and Alex Twal behind him to round out the top five.
Injured Rabbitohs skipper Cameron Murray (717 points) has dropped down to sixth but is expected to return to the field shortly to begin his climb back up the ladder.
VB Hard Earned Index: Round 11
- Ryan Matterson (Eels) — 103 points
- Joe Ofahengaue (Wests Tigers) — 95 points
- Payne Haas (Broncos) — 85 points
- Cameron McInnes (Sharks) — 83 points
- Luke Garner (Wests Tigers) — 83 points
- Jordan Riki (Broncos) — 82 points
- Reuben Cotter (Cowboys) — 82 points
- Tohu Harris (Warriors) — 82 points
- Jake Trbojevic (Sea Eagles) — 81 points
- Patrick Carrigan (Broncos) — 81 points
VB Hard Earned Index: Leaderboard
- Isaah Yeo (Panthers) — 884 points
- Isaiah Papali'i (Eels) — 871 points
- Payne Haas (Broncos) — 763 points
- Alex Twal (Wests Tigers) — 733 points
- Joe Ofahengaue (Wests Tigers) — 724 points
- Cameron Murray (Rabbitohs) — 717 points
- Joseph Tapine (Raiders) — 715 points
- Tino Fa'asuamaleaui (Titans) — 713 points
- Reuben Cotter (Cowboys) — 709 points
- Paul Vaughan (Bulldogs) — 704 points