You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
JT backs Ponga Kiwis switch after Origin eligibility changes

Maroons and Kangaroos legend Johnathan Thurston has backed changes to Origin eligibility rules that could see Kalyn Ponga line up for the Kiwis at Rugby League World Cup 2026 and Casey McLean playing for NSW.

After confirming that Auckland's Eden Park would host a State of Origin in 2027, the Australian Rugby League Commission has opened the way for any player eligible for NSW or Queensland to be selected, regardless of whether they have represented New Zealand or England at international level.

To qualify for the Blues or Maroons, a player must have been born in NSW or Queensland or resided in the state before their 13th birthday. The only exception is a player whose father or mother played Origin.

However, in a significant change players no longer need to be available for Kangaroos selection, meaning that a player like McLean, the Panthers teen sensation who was born and raised in Sydney but plays for the Kiwis, can now be considered by Blues coach Laurie Daley.

Australian-born England internationals Victor Radley and AJ Brimson are now available for NSW and Queensland respectively, while the Origin ban on Tonga enforcer Addin Fonua-Blake, who was also born and raised in Sydney but played a Test for the Kiwis in 2017, would no longer apply.

However, the biggest benefit of the policy change is set to be international rugby league, with Ponga now a step closer to pulling on a Kiwis jersey, while the likes of Ethan Strange, Kaeo Weekes and Jack Howarth could play for New Zealand without jeopardising their Origin prospects.

Blues prop Max King and emerging Maroons halfback Sam Walker could also play for England, where both were born.

Thurston, who made 37 consecutive appearances for Queensland and 38 Tests for Australia, said the new rules would strengthen both international rugby league and State of Origin.

“Personally, I think that our biggest growth is in the international game,” Thurston said at Eden Park after Monday's dual Origin announcements.

Blues and Bulldogs prop Max King is among the NRL players who could play for England at the World Cup while continuing to play Origin.
Blues and Bulldogs prop Max King is among the NRL players who could play for England at the World Cup while continuing to play Origin. ©Grant Trouville/NRL Photos

“For the boys that are born in Australia with heritage to New Zealand, or Tonga, Samoa and England, like Victor Radley, Robert Toia and Payne Haas, they get to play State of Origin and also represent their motherland.

“I think it is great for the game and it is going to grow the game, and we have seen the growth over the past three years with the Pacific Championships.

“There is a huge opportunity to grow the game internationally and I hope that is where we put all of our eggs.

Origin greats Johnathan Thurston and Ryan Hoffman with New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon at the announcement that Eden Park would host a match in the 2027 series.
Origin greats Johnathan Thurston and Ryan Hoffman with New Zealand Prime Minister Christopher Luxon at the announcement that Eden Park would host a match in the 2027 series. ©Supplied

“We want the best players playing the game and Kalyn Ponga is a superstar of our game so if he is going to represent New Zealand it will bring more eyeballs to the game and that is what we want.

“It’s a huge announcement to change the eligibility rules and I feel that the Commission has got it right.”

Ponga was born in Western Australia and has parents from New Zealand, where he was a junior golf champion, but qualifies for Queensland as he moved to the state before the age of 13.

The superstar fullback has previously represented the Maori All Stars and he confirmed just last week that he was opening to playing for the Kiwis.

After representing Australia at the World Cup 9s tournament in 2019, Ponga would need to successfully apply to International Rugby League to change his allegiance from the Kangaroos to the Kiwis.

However, a precedent was set last year when Brimson, who also played in the World Cup 9s, was allowed to swap from Australia to England.

“Obviously, with the rules and everything, I'm not allowed to (at the moment), but I would (consider it),” Ponga told AAP. "There's a lot to weigh up.”

©NRL Graphics

NZRL CEO Greg Peters also welcomed the change to the State of Origin eligibility rules and said it would take the pressure off young players like McLean to choose between their country and state.

“We are really delighted that the Commission is changing those rules because it hasn’t been fair for Kiwi players, or English players as well,” Peters said.

“It was an amazingly brave decision by Casey as a 19-year-old so for him now to have the opportunity to play Origin is fantastic.

“Obviously at the top end we have got Kalyn Ponga, as well, who still has one other hurdle to get over, but we have always been lobbying for this so I think it is a very fair outcome.

“On the back of the announcement that State of Origin would be played in Auckland in 2027, I applaud Peter V’landys and the Commission for making this change.”  

Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Media Partners

Major Partners

View All Partners