How The Commission Works
How the Commission Works
The ARL Commission is the existing ARL corporate entity with an entirely new constitution and regulatory framework.
The Objects of the ARL Commission are listed in its constitution:
The primary objects of the Company are to:
- Be the single controlling body and administrator of the Game;
- Foster, develop, extend and provide adequate funding for the Game from the junior to elite levels and generally to act in the best interests of the Game;
- Liaise with and delegate appropriate functions to governing bodies of the Game in the States and Territories of Australia, including the NSWRL and QRL;
- Organise and conduct all State of Origin and Australian Representative Games;
- Organise, conduct and foster the NRL Competition;
- Liaise with the Rugby League International Federation Limited and organisations controlling the game in other countries in the fostering and control of the game of Rugby League throughout the world;
- Promote and encourage either directly or indirectly the physical, cultural and intellectual welfare of young people in the community and, in particular, the Rugby League community;
- Promote and encourage either directly or indirectly sport and recreation, particularly Rugby League football, in the interests of the social welfare of young persons. The NSW, Queensland and Country Rugby Leagues remain separate entities under the Commission.
The name of the Telstra Premiership and the NRL brand remain in place subject to any future decisions taken by the Commission.
All NRL clubs and the NSW and Queensland Rugby Leagues are members of the Commission.
Each club signs a participation agreement which allows it to compete in the Telstra Premiership.
The inaugural ARL Commissioners were agreed by representatives of the NRL Partnership, the Leagues and the clubs in 2012. Future Commissioners are appointed by the Commission itself.
The Commissioners are appointed into different groups and, initially, for differing terms. Each Commissioner must, at a nominated time, resign and may seek re-election.