NRL Rookie applications closing soon
The global search for the inaugural NRL Rookie has begun, with applications closing Friday, May 15.
The NRL Rookie is a new reality show on the Nine Network that will discover someone who has what it takes to make it in the NRL, and guarantee them a contract.
Applications have been flooding in since the show was announced in mid-April, with just two weeks left to put your name forward to be the first NRL Rookie.
"Getting my first NRL contract was one of the biggest days of my life. Now it can be yours too," said former Kangaroos and Maroons star Petero Civoniceva.
It's not only talented players who can prosper from this opportunity. As an added incentive for the grassroots community, the winning NRL Rookie's Rugby League club will be awarded a cheque for $25,000 (AUD).
Applying is easy, provided you fit the eligibility criteria.
• The Applicant must be at least 20 years of age;
• The Applicant must never have been on an NRL first grade Top 25 Squad List or played an NRL first grade game;
• The Applicant must not have played a Second Tier NRL match (NSW/QLD Cup) or a Holden Cup U20’s in either of the last three seasons (being 2013-2015).
You'll need to have these things ready before you start the application:
TWO PHOTOS OF YOU
• Photo of you in your footy jumper (or a t-shirt), and
• Photo of you shirtless.
YOUR RUGBY LEAGUE HISTORY
• Contact details for two football or sporting references the producers can contact.
YOUR VIDEO (optional)
• Applicants are encouraged to submit a video of themselves explaining why they think they have what it takes to be the NRL Rookie. This is not a mandatory step in the application and you can apply without a video.
The NRL and the Nine Network are taking applications from those wanting to become the NRL Rookie. The NRL is welcoming applications from across the globe although it is expected that Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and the UK will field the most applicants.
As a long term partner of the NRL, Telstra are proud to be officially supporting this initiative which will connect communities and demonstrate some of the amazing talent that grassroots Rugby League has to offer.