Eels star Hayne hires Derrick Rose lawyer
Parramatta Eels recruit Jarryd Hayne has hired the same US attorney that successfully defended rape accusations made against NBA superstar Derrick Rose in 2016.
Hayne has once again firmly denied the sexual assault allegations filed against him by a woman known as “Ms V” during his time at the San Francisco 49ers.
He fronted the media after his first training session back with the Eels on Wednesday to vehemently deny the claims, later releasing a statement to acknowledge Mark Baute as his US attorney.
The alleged victim in the Rose case sought $21.5 million in damages, however Baute helped convince a federal jury in a civil trial that the NBA 2010-11 MVP and two of his friends had not raped the woman.
“Mr Hayne is innocent and will ask a United States jury to find him innocent,” Baute said in a statement released on Wednesday afternoon.
“There is no objective evidence of any sexual assault in this matter and the lawsuit lacks merit. We do not intend to ‘try this case in the media’ and will refrain from further public comment, other than to say that Mr Hayne and I look forward to the day when a jury can decide he is innocent.”
Hayne also revealed the emotional damage the allegations have had on him and his family, maintaining his innocence in the same statement sent out by his Australian representative, Madison Marcus Law Firm.
“The last week or so have been personally distressing for not only me but my family and friends, as civil proceedings making serious allegations have been publicly aired, and certain media have followed me on a personal pre-planned trip to the other side of the world,” Hayne said in the statement.
“I was not given any notice of these proceedings prior to any media reports. I confirm that I unequivocally and vehemently deny the allegations made against me and I will be vigorously defending the matter. As everyone should understand, I cannot publicly discuss anything relating to this matter as it is now the subject of legal proceedings in the United States.
“I’d like to thank all my family, friends and fans who have both privately and publicly sent messages of support. My request to the media is to provide my family and I respect and privacy at this time.
"I cannot and will not make any further comment regarding this matter until the legal proceedings are concluded.
"I urge you to please respect this request for not only me but my family and teammates. I have the utmost faith in the United States justice system and have left this matter with my legal team.”
Hayne fronted the media on Wednesday afternoon and reiterated he would speak more about the case once it was resolved.
"After the court case is finished, I can and I will," he said.
"I've been thinking about getting back to training, knowing the plays. That's where my head space is at the moment.
"The first couple of weeks is just about getting into shape. Everything else will sort itself out.
"It's good to be home. "