You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary.

Sydney Roosters star Luke Keary remains confident of being fit for round one despite ongoing symptoms of concussion resulting from a broken jaw he suffered in pre-season training.

Keary has been undergoing constant rehabilitation and monitoring since having a plate inserted in his jaw in late January following a training mishap.

The 26-year-old confirmed he has experienced repeated headaches during the past month and club medical staff will not take any risks with his recovery from the injury taking longer than initially expected.

Keary has missed both the Tricolours' pre-season trials and is yet to take the paddock alongside marquee halfback Cooper Cronk, with a four-week lay-off originally slated for the prize five-eighth.

He is yet to return to contact training but with 12 days until the Roosters' season-opener against Wests Tigers, Keary says he is still expecting to line up at ANZ Stadium on March 10.

Asked if he had experienced repeated headaches as a result of his injury, Keary said: "There's been a little bit, but it's nothing too concerning, I've been alright.

"I've done a little bit of training but not too much no. It's a slow thing and I'm aiming to get back into it over the next couple of weeks.

"… The recovery is probably a bit slower than what we thought but it's nothing too serious."

Keary was scheduled to get further scans on his jaw after completing club media commitments on Monday.

Back-up half Mitch Cornish has started both trial matches alongside Cronk after an accidental shoulder from young forward Sitili Tupouniua floored Keary in a contact session last month.

Should the former Rabbitoh be kept on ice for round one, either Cornish or back-rower Ryan Matterson loom as the most likely options for the Roosters No.6 jersey.

Keary was reluctant to discuss any concerns around a possible concussion and remains hopeful of getting the all-clear from club doctors before the Telstra Premiership kicks off.

"We've done all the normal things you do after a head knock and a broken jaw," Keary said.

"I've been going through those procedures. I'll start to try to get back into everything at training in the next seven days.

"I'm still expecting (to return) round one. We've had that in line from when it happened, so unless something happens in the next week then I should be OK."

Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Premier Partner

Media Partners

Major Partners

View All Partners