Manly prop Addin Fonua-Blake has apologised to referee Grant Atkins over his verbal tirade in the final seconds of the 14-12 loss to Newcastle at Lottoland.
The 24-year-old firebrand was marched from the ground by Atkins for his abusive spray.
Atkins had initially asked the NRL Bunker to check on a possible penalty try for Manly, when it appeared there had been interference on winger Tevita Funa after he'd kicked ahead towards the try line.
But when 'No Try' flashed up on the screen, Fonua-Blake was heard over the onfield microphones calling Atkins "a f---ing retard".
After not speaking to the media after the game, Fonua-Blake was quoted in a statement issued by Manly expressing his remorse.
"Referees have a very tough job and we all need to respect their decisions even when we may not agree with them," Fonua-Blake said
"I should not have let my emotions get the better of me and I am very sorry for the comments I made.
Match Highlights: Sea Eagles v Knights
"I'd also like to offer my sincere apology to anyone offended by the regrettable language that I used. I let myself and my club down. That is not who I am or what this club stands for."
During the post-match media conference coach Des Hasler said he would be speaking with the Tongan international about the incident.
Later Manly officials told the media that Fonua-Blake had gone to the referees' room under the main grandstand and personally apologised to Atkins.
"Obviously we'll look at it," Hasler said.
"I think from Addin's point of view it was emotion and frustration – but he's got to contain that.
"We'll see what the charges are what the fallout is."
Fonua-Blake's contrition probably won't be enough to save him from a likely contrary conduct charge, when the match review committee meets on Monday.
Hasler had another issue on his mind. If Funa had been touched by Knights backs Tex Hoy and Bradman Best, why wasn't Manly awarded a penalty?
"I think he [Funa] would have [been held back] otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the video ref to see what had happened?" Hasler said, when asked if thought his winger had been jostled out of the way.
A successful penalty kick by Reuben Garrick would have forced the match into extra time.
Manly suffered a similar fate last year in a game against the Dragons, when an escort penalty was not given to allow the Sea Eagles the chance of levelling the scores. Coincidentally, they face St George Illawarra next week.
Get Caught Up: Round 8
"I'll be checking with Graeme Annesley on what the rule is in regards to the penalty try, or why it wasn't a possible penalty and a shot at goal," Hasler said.
"I'm sure it's all fine but we'll check with what the NRL has to say.
"We had opportunities that we should have used to win the game. It was just one of those nights."
Manly did keep the Knights scoreless during the second half. But in return, Newcastle was down to 15 men at half-time and then lost Kalyn Ponga for the final 13 minutes of the match.
That's now double losses for Manly after the 18-point drubbing by the Sharks in Gosford last round.
"There is still plenty of time," Hasler said, with 12 rounds to go before the finals.
"I thought defensively we were very, very good. Back-to-back losses, that's definitely one that is not good. There are some areas there we can work on."