Kiwi Ferns representative Jules Newman is among a host of Warriors players expected to withdraw from the NRLW as Project Apollo officials finalise a contingency plan for the competition.
Newman took to Instagram to confirm she won't take part in season three of the NRLW and it's understood many of her teammates are likely to follow suit with the squad set to be based in Sydney for at least a five-week period.
Logistical issues around international border control and future bubble restrictions have NRL and Project Apollo officials scrambling for resolutions since confirmation of the NRLW's go-ahead in June.
"Even though I am fit and ready to hit the field, I have come to the realisation my health, safety and equally my security is bigger than the game itself," Newman said.
"I am hoping our global pandemic improves as I don't intend for this to be my last campaign with the NZ Warriors women.
"I would like to wish my sisters all the very best returning to rugby league alongside friends and enjoy the pathway from there."
Warriors CEO Cameron George suggested last month the likely scenario for a Warriors team to take part in the competition would be to outsource the team while maintaining the club's colours.
It's now understood to be a reality Project Apollo will put forward to the ARL Commission and Warriors players.
"There might be a few options where we can have our colours play in Australia with a team based out of Sydney to fulfil our spot in the NRLW," George told reporters in a recent video conference.
"If individuals wish to get an exemption and go across because their work schedules and personal circumstances allow that, we will try and facilitate that."
NRL.com understands incumbent Warriors players will need to commit to an Australian move for at least five weeks, but in return would have to sacrifice time away from family and employment.
The commitment would include New Zealand-based players going into a 14-day quarantine when arriving into the country as per Australian government guidelines.
It's understood only a handful of players are expected to agree to the terms with the remaining spots to be filled by players in the NSW Harvey Norman women's premiership and Queensland's Holcim Cup.
Those Australian-based players are not expected to join a bubble-style squad with their Warriors teammates and relocate during the week.
Quick fix for the chicks - Episode 2
The decision could also have an impact on recently appointed coach Slade Griffin, who is based in Auckland and is no guarantee to take on the role.
The Warriors will have a month to lock in players with the contract window for NRLW deals to start from August 17.
Clubs will need to finalise their squads by September 15 with the competition due to commence on October 3.