You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman.

Corey Norman is facing the prospect of missing the start of the season and a fine of $20,000 after the NRL sanctioned the Dragons five-eighth for his involvement in a street fight.

The NRL on Saturday announced the St George Illawarra playmaker had been served a breach notice which alleges he brought the game into disrepute after his involvement in a fight on a Cronulla street on Friday, January 22.

PNG international James Segeyaro was also involved in the incident but is not a registered NRL player.

Under the terms of the sanctions, it is proposed Norman receives a $20,000 fine and a two-game ban with one of those matches suspended for 12 months. Norman must also undergo education and training. 

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said he had taken into account the degree of provocation in determining the proposed penalty.

"We accept there was a degree of provocation which led to the incident, but as a game we have been very clear that provocation is not an excuse to engage in a street fight," he said.

"Our players are role models for younger people in our community and they need to set the example for how to respond in such circumstances.

"We will always support our players who are subject to any form of abuse, but any form of violence is not an acceptable response."

Norman has until next Friday to respond to the breach notice.

The Dragons issued a statement on Saturday to say they would "work closely with Corey over the coming week to determine a position on the breach notice imposed".

The 29-year-old former Maroons representative, who has played 206 matches in the NRL, is off contract at the end of the season after joining the Dragons in 2019 following stints at Parramatta and Brisbane.