St. George-Illawarra's strong start to the 2021 Telstra Women's Premiership was underpinned by a relentless enthusiasm right across the park, according to the Telstra Tracker data.
While the Broncos and Eels both chalked up more metres as a team, the Dragons' dominance in the relative distance data from Telstra — showing a player's average metres run per minute — showed the blueprint for their 20-12 win over the Titans and a detail which would have certainly pleased coach Jamie Soward.
Across all players in the opening week of the competition, Dragons fullback Emma Tonegato (88.3 metres/min), lock Tegan Dymock (84.8), halfback Rachael Pearson (84.6) and centre Shaylee Bent (84.0) all finished inside the top seven players for relative distance — the only team to have multiple players inside the top seven.
Abbi Church made her impact for the Eels count in their thrilling win over the Knights, taking out top spot in the relative distance data for the week with 90.4 metres per minute, with Brisbane hooker Lauren Brown (87.1) narrowly behind Tonegato to round out the top three.
Tonegato's efforts showed up in other aspects of the Telstra Tracker data, with the fullback finishing fourth amongst all players in maximum velocity (29.5)— a category taken out by her teammate Jaime Chapman (32.9) — and second in total distance behind the Broncos' Brown (7,563 metres).
NRLW Match Highlights: Dragons v Titans
Round 2 of the Telstra Women's Premiership kicks off at 12:00pm AEDT on Sunday as part of a triple-header at WIN Stadium.
Telstra Tracker Data: NRLW Week 1
- Jaime Chapman (Dragons) — 32.9
- Tamika Upton (Broncos) — 29.7
- Emily Bass (Broncos) — 29.6
- Emma Tonegato (Dragons) — 29.5
- Vaha'akolo (Knights) — 29.3
- Abbi Church (Eels) — 90.4 m/min
- Emma Tonegato (Dragons) — 88.3 m/min
- Lauren Brown (Broncos) — 87.1 m/min
- Tegan Dymock (Dragons) — 84.8 m/min
- Brianna Clark (Titans) — 84.7 m/min
- Lauren Brown (Broncos) — 7,563 metres
- Emma Tonegato (Dragons) — 7,095 metres
- Simaima Taufa (Eels) — 7,000 metres
- Tamika Upton (Broncos) — 6,867 metres
- Tiana Penitani (Eels) — 6,806 metres