What are values?
- Values can be defined as beliefs or philosophies that are important to you.
- When applied to aspects of your life they can drive you to accomplish your goals.
- Values may be individual but equally apply to the organisation you are a part of.
- Organisations usually subscribe to values they feel are important and help strengthen the business and brand.
- Values help identify and build the culture of an organisation.
Why is it important to understand your values?
- Identifying the beliefs or philosophies you feel are important will help you set meaningful goals and further develop your future.
- Understanding your values will also help you identify potential conflicts when your values and an organisations don’t align
Identify your important values
- You can begin to identify the values that you feel are important by looking at our Values checklist (pdf). Put a tick next to those that you feel are significant.
- Also identify those that you feel don’t align with your beliefs. This may help you recognise why sometimes you may struggle in certain situations.
- Your values may also change over time – as you progress, learn and mature.
Download out Values Checklist
- Valuing the importance of every decision and every action
- Striving to improve and innovate in everything we do
- Setting clear goals against which we measure success
- Inspiring the highest standards in ourselves and others
- Engaging and empowering everyone to feel welcome in our game
- Reaching out to new participants and supporters
- Promoting equality of opportunity in all its forms
- Respecting and celebrating diversity in culture, gender and social background
- Standing up for our beliefs and empowering others to do the same
- Being prepared to make a difference by leading change
- Putting the game ahead of individual needs
- Having the strength to make the right decisions, placing fact ahead of emotion
- Encouraging and supporting others to achieve common goals
- Committing to a culture of honesty and trust
- Motivating those around us to challenge themselves
- Respecting the contribution of every individual