You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Ryan Matterson

Fast Facts

• Born in Wentworthville, NSW
  • Played junior football with Bankstown Bulls
  • Played for the Junior Kangaroos and NSW under 20s
  • Made his first-grade debut for the Sydney Roosters in 2016
  • Signed with the Parramatta Eels until 2022.
  • Voice Against Violence Advocate since 2018

Biography

A versatile forward, Ryan Matterson, was born in Sydney’s western suburbs where he also played his junior football with the Bankstown Bulls.

Ryan has represented both NSW in the under 20s and Australia in the Junior Kangaroos in 2014, and signed with the Parramatta Eels NYC team where he played for two seasons.

In 2016, the second rower signed a contract with the Sydney Roosters where he played until his final appearance for the the Roosters in the 2018 Grand Final, ending the season with 10 tries from 60 appearances for the club. Ryan Matterson has agreed to terms for a three year deal with the Parramatta Eels commencing in 2020, which includes an option in the third year.

It is important to spread the message that this is not acceptable and to show young men that violence is not the answer.

Ryan Matterson Parramatta Eels

As an emerging player in the NRL, Ryan is determined to use his platform to speak out against violence. This is his first year as a Voice Against Violence Advocate.

“I chose to become an Advocate because I believe I have the ability to use my position to send a message to our youth that I strongly believe in. Violence against women is something that should never happen, so educating those in the Rugby League community is a great start.”

Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.