- Born in Wentworthville, NSW
- Played junior football with Bankstown Bulls
- Played for the Junior Kangaroos and NSW under 20s
- Made his first-grade debut for the Sydney Roosters in 2016
- Signed with the Wests Tigers until 2021
- Voice Against Violence Advocate since 2018
A versatile forward, Ryan Matterson, was born in Sydney’s western suburbs where he also played his junior football with the Bankstown Bulls.
Ryan has represented both NSW in the under 20s and Australia in the Junior Kangaroos in 2014, and signed with the Parramatta Eels NYC team where he played for two seasons.
In 2016, the second rower signed a contract with the Sydney Roosters where he played until his final appearance for the the Roosters in the 2018 Grand Final, ending the season with 10 tries from 60 appearances for the club. Ryan has signed for the Wests Tigers through until 2021.
As an emerging player in the NRL, Ryan is determined to use his platform to speak out against violence. This is his first year as a Voice Against Violence Advocate.
“I chose to become an Advocate because I believe I have the ability to use my position to send a message to our youth that I strongly believe in. Violence against women is something that should never happen, so educating those in the Rugby League community is a great start.”