Fast facts

• Born in Gerringong, NSW
  • Made first-grade debut for North Queensland Cowboys in 2011
  • Played with Newcastle Knights before joining St George Illawarra in 2016
  • Played international football for Fiji
  • Selected in the 2018 NSW Blues squad
  • State of Mind Advocate since 2016

Biography

Born in Gerringong in NSW, Tariq Sims played junior football with the Gerringong Lions and moved to Queensland to make his first-grade debut with the North Queensland Cowboys in 2011.

After joining the Newcastle Knights in 2015, Tariq signed with the St George Illawarra Dragons mid-way through the 2016 season.

The former Junior Kangaroos representative has also represented the Fiji Bati and Country Origin side (2012-17) on five and six occasions respectively.

Tariq comes from a hugely successful sporting family with both brothers and sisters playing Rugby League at various times.

Being an Advocate for both the State of Mind and Voice Against Violence programs has a very personal resonance for Tariq.

I want to help prevent violence against women and help people speak out and express themselves if they have a mental illness, to help break down the stigma.

Tariq Sims St George Illawarra Dragons

"I'm motivated by my first-hand experience with depression and fighting back with the help of family and friends.

"And being the father of two young ladies, the welfare of women is close to my heart."

"I've been a Mental Health Ambassador since 2011, and have actively worked to oppose violence against women throughout my career."

Dragons star Tariq Sims has been a mental health ambassador since 2011.
Dragons star Tariq Sims has been a mental health ambassador since 2011.
Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.