You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Fast facts

• Born in Coonamble, NSW
  • Lives in Sydney, NSW
  • Played junior rugby league for the Coonamble Bears
  • Made first-grade debut for South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2017
  • Voice Against Violence Advocate since 2019

Biography

If he hadn’t been snapped up for the South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2017, Coonamble-born Braidon Burns would be studying to be a teacher.

But teaching’s loss is rugby league’s gain, with the talented centre poised for a big season in 2019.

Braidon has much to give off the field as well as on - describing a very personal reason for wanting to become a Voice Against Violence Advocate:

“I didn’t have the best upbringing in life, surrounded by drugs, alcohol and violence. But even though these times I consider myself fortunate to have met some great people along the way who showed me that I had other choices in life.

“Without their care and support who knows where I would have ended up. The support I received meant everything to me. To be able to provide the same positive influence to others is something I feel honoured to be able to do.”

We should never turn a blind eye to domestic or family violence. This is not our culture, we can break the cycle

Braidon Burns South Sydney Rabbitohs

Braidon believes using his platform to lend his voice to those who have none.

“We need to ensure our voices are heard to influence the protection of women and children. Family and domestic violence in small rural communities is common. Our children and young people are the future of our culture. If I can use my profile as an NRL player to influence someone to seek assistance if they are a victim or a perpetrator and reduce violence in our communities, I will be happy,” he says.

"We need to protect our kids and show them the right way to manage their anger. We need to ensure our women are protected and have our communities work toward being free of violence.”

Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.