• Born in Sydney, NSW
  • Lives in Melbourne, VIC
  • Moved to Melbourne Storm for the Holden Cup in 2013
  • Debuted for Melbourne Storm first grade in 2015
  • Included in Queensland State of Origin Camp in 2018
  • Part of the Melbourne Storm team for 2018 Grand Final
  • Voice Against Violence and State of Mind Advocate since 2018

Biography

Although born in Sydney, Christian Welch moved to Queensland when young where he played junior football for Easts Tigers Brisbane and Gladstone Brothers.

Christian was signed by Melbourne Storm and played the 2013 and 2014 seasons in the Holden Cup. In 2014 he played for the Queensland under 20s team against NSW.

In 2018 Christian was part of the Melbourne Storm team that played in the Grand Final.

As a younger player, Christian is keen to use his profile to foster positive change with his younger peers.

The Voice Against Violence program aims to educate young men in particular that violence is never OK and runs grassroots programs with 16-18-year olds.

Rugby League is a pillar in many communities which brings people together. We can use it as a vehicle to affect positive change.

Christian Welch Melbourne Storm

"I am interested in both programs as I think we can use our position as role models for young kids to contribute. I feel proud to be apart of the NRL's work on these two very important societal issues."

Christian has a history of volunteering for worthy causes, so it was natural for him to become involved as an NRL Community Advocate.

"Mental health affects so many people it's important we work to educate people and provide advice. I will do whatever I can to spread the message of both programs and to be a role model for young people."

Read more: Serious injury inspired newfound perspective in Welch

Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.