• Played with Newcastle Knights and St George Illawarra
  • Returned to the Broncos in 2015
  • Made captain of the Broncos in 2017
  • Made 292 appearances, scoring 81 tries in his NRL career
  • Represented Queensland and Australia
  • State of Mind Advocate since 2015

The inspiring transformation of Darius Boyd

Biography

Born and raised on the Gold Coast, QLD, Darius Boyd is one of the NRL's most senior and decorated players.

Making his first-grade debut in 2006 for the Brisbane Broncos, Darius has had stints at St George Illawarra and the Newcastle Knights before returning to the Broncos in 2015, where he was named Captain in 2017. During his NRL career, Darius has made 292 appearances scoring 81 tries.

Darius has played representative football for both Queensland and Australia.

Throughout his career, Darius has been frank about his own experience with depression, and he's an enthusiastic supporter of the NRL's commitment to programs such as State of Mind, for which he's an Advocate.

"I have been through struggles myself and would like to share and help others," Darius said.

"The profiles that the players have can help young people learn key messages at an early age."

One of those messages Darius would like people to take away from his involvement is that it's not weak to speak about how you're feeling.

Mental health affects everyone and it's about talking about what you're going through and having good people around you.

Darius Boyd Brisbane Broncos

Darius said he finds connecting with young people through the NRL Community programs very rewarding.

"I have delivered many State of Mind and mental health workshops in the community - it's a passion of mine and I enjoy the work."

"It's a great feeling to be able to help others."

Broncos Darius Boyd is drawing on his own struggles to help others.
Broncos Darius Boyd is drawing on his own struggles to help others.

Read more: Boyd helping himself by helping others

Acknowledgement of Country

National Rugby League respects and honours the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.